Whats a reliable brand semi auto .22LR handgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to get a new .22LR semi auto handgun for plinking. I've never had any luck with smith&wesson .22's, so thats out. What is a good, reliable brand? I'am leaning towards a browning buckmark. Does anyone also know of any .22's that have clips available that hold more then 10 rounds?

The Ruger target models have always worked for me. The Smith and Wesson Model 41, particularly the old ones have been good. If you could find an old High Standard Victor or Citation, those are good too. I think Kimber makes a .22 which is fashioned like a .45 auto.

Ruger 22-45 all the way!!!
smile.gif
Happy plinking!

-

quote:

Originally posted by drive it forever:
I want to get a new .22LR semi auto handgun for plinking. I've never had any luck with smith&wesson .22's, so thats out. What is a good, reliable brand? I'am leaning towards a browning buckmark. Does anyone also know of any .22's that have clips available that hold more then 10 rounds?

I bought a Ruger MK I for $37 many years ago. I still have the receipt.

I guess it’s had about 40,000 rounds fired through it and still works great.

Now that the magazine ban is over, there seem to be aftermarket 10+ magazines for everything.

-

I have a Browning Buckmark and it is reliable and accurate as well. I have the Bullseye model with the rose wood grips and my favorite cousin has the Varmint model. I have used mine to hunt rabits and to shoot at the range! I absouletly love that little Buckmark!!

I have not owned the Ruger .22 pistol but know that in stock trim they can not keep up with a Buckmark for out of the box accuracy.One of my friends owns one and many at the range own them as well! The only down side to Browning is that the price can vary greatly from week to week. Most gunsmiths have to call and get the price before they know what they are going to charge you.

My 2 cents.....
The Browning Buckmark is a fine pistol. The only real drawback is that extra magazines and aftermarket grips can be harder to come by than with the Ruger. On the other hand, the Ruger is (usually) less expensive. And, until you are used to it the Ruger can be tricky to disassemble for cleaning. Both pistols come in a number of different variations. Either are accurate enough for informal target shooting. I would go the the one that best fits your hand (and wallet).

I have both the Browning Buckmark with a gold trigger and the Ruger MKII 512 bull barrel. I really like the Ruger. I could shoot a dime from between your fingers all day with it at 25 ft. At 25 yards a quarter would be safer but I could still group dime size. Excellent gun. Blueing does wear away fast on the grip though. Get stainless or have it replated with something like NP3 or Black T.

I remember knocking down the bowling pins faster than every one else on my first pin match. Unfortunately they all didn't clear the table and it required 3 more quick shots to scoot them off. A guy with a 44 magnum with 325 grain pin grabbers sent them flying about 20 feet back.

offtopic.gif
In another thread there was talk about pistols and shotguns to use for home defense. I would not feel handicapped with a lowly 22. I knew a guy who had a silenced American Arms 180 that he used for home defense. sounded like a blender going off.

http://www.american180.com/history/index.html

I have a Ruger Mark II Stainless with Bull Barrel.

It is very accurate for a .22 semi-auto pistol.

My choice would be Ruger as well.
fruit.gif

When I started shooting bullseye pistol I asked around about accurate, reliable .22 pistols and 'Ruger' was by far the most common answer. I managed to find a S&W Mod41 at a good price in a small town as the shop ownwer said that locals thought it too expensive for plinking and it had been sitting for awhile. I've been very pleased with it and everyone who has shot it has been amazed at how well it shoots. No way I could justify the asking price these days, which is over twice what I paid.

Another option to look at is the Walther P22 with a 5" barrel. You can get the shorter 3.4" barrel and buy the 5" barrel kit and have 2 guns in 1, the barrels are interchangable. 5" for plinking and 3.4" for small, light camping or pack gun.

Nice, light, accurate, and inexpensive. And comes with different sized backstraps for different size hands.

Besides, any of you guys ever clean a Ruger .22? That's my problem with the Ruger, not to mention their politics.
thumbsdown.gif

What about a 1911 style gun? I love my little Frankenstein "Ace":

-

It's a Colt .22 Conversion on a Colt series 80 receiver (therefore little collector value
grin.gif
); it's got a nice, light trigger (the disconnect was rendered inoperable) and you can shoot all day and not worry. Rarely have I had any feed/eject problems, it's an absolute joy to shoot. If you like 1911s then check into a used Colt Ace or a Kimber. If you have a .45 then how about a Ceiner .22 conversion?

Good idea. You could buy a .22 conversion for just about anything. I have thought about buying one, I've seen them for about $200-300

A Colt Ace is a nice piece. But most of the ones that I have seen are very expensive, especially if in good shape. They are kinda collectable. I know a friend paid over a grand for one. It was mint and he's a Colt collector.

Huhwhye,

I agree, Colts are super expensive these days. I bought the Frankenstein "Ace" so I would have no qualms about shooting it. I've introduced the pastime of recreational shooting to several of my colleagues at work with this gun. For collectablility, I have a NIB Service Model Ace that reigns as a safe queen.

I forgot to mention that Ceiner has .22 conversions for many popular centerfire semi-autos so there are plenty of choices.

quote:

I bought a Ruger MK I for $37 many years ago. I still have the receipt.

Interesting. That was my first semi-auto .22 as well and I gave it to my dad so I could have the excuse to purchase the Mark II Target model in stainless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back