What's a good OCI for 90% city?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now, the oil has got 8500km's or about 5300mi @ the aforementioned driving cycle. The engine is a Toyota 2.2L 5S-FE. The fill is a blend of 20% Redline 10WT and the rest Petro-Canada Supreme Synthetic 0w30, a Gr III of reasonable quality. To offer a visual, oil on the dipstick is still transparent dark brown, meaning not opaque black. Before people cry 'sludge master', it must be disclosed that the crankcase ventilation capacity of the engine has been increased, and despite it's high mileage, is one of the cleanest 5S-FE's I've seen (in part due to consistent doping with Redline IMO). I've pushed as much as 10K KM's in past OCIs though never been tested, should I change anything?

While I agree UOA would offer valuable insight, I'm kind of hesitant to drop the coin for one, reasoning that I can get a new jug of oil for the price. The city drives are not too short, some of them are about 10 minutes at the shortest, and say an hour at the longest. Excluding special runs, I'd say the car sees an hour of city twice a week, and the rest would be ~10 minute runs.. some weekend errands and shopping trips can be a combined hour on the road in smaller trips...

I've wondered the same thing. I drive 5.3 miles to work and back again. Short commute. The engine gets fully hot (or so says the gauge)but I'm not too sure if its hot long enough to burn off any moisture. I used to do 6000 mi OCIs like this. But thinking of slashing that to about 3500-4000 mi given the winter months coming and the stop and go conditions. I never get above 50 MPH on the commute, and its 5.3 miles of stop and go. There are 9 traffic lights I have to negotiate on that commute.

i can barely drive 3000 miles in 6 months( town driving,yes 6 months) so i change it every half year. Are we similar?

Thanks for the advice fellas. Well,

Originally Posted By: shadow7
i can barely drive 3000 miles in 6 months( town driving,yes 6 months) so i change it every half year. Are we similar?

I'd say so. The car is mostly lady driven, and it's been about a year since the last change, and only 5300mi so far. You know what, I'm gonna put faith in the current fill and leave it in till about 6250mi/10,000kms... or change it before it gets really cold outside, whichever comes first. Thanks for the input fellas
cheers3.gif

It depends on what city you're talking about. I commute to DC every day but I take the train for the city park of it. I still have some stop and go traffic .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back