what would you say are the top three dino oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
PYB
GTX
VWB

Ditto.....
I'm not sure I would use GTX in winter because it didn't have great numbers a few years back.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
What's on sale.
What's the cheapes in the absence of sale.
Which jug I like the most if prices are very close.

^The best post so far.
Most people have a favorite dino oil because it's what their dad or grandpa used. Either that, or they like the internet buzz or the fancy packaging or advertising of an oil. Somebody takes a picture of a new container of their favorite oil, posts it here, and it gets 2 or 3 pages of replies and nobody ever questions if it really is a better OIL. Probably all of the oil mentioned here will get you to 200K+ on the odometer.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
PYB
GTX
VWB

Ditto.....
I'm not sure I would use GTX in winter because it didn't have great numbers a few years back.

I was just going by what I think sells the most and in what order. In my beaters brand loyalty takes a back seat to price. I'm currently running Formula Shell in my Century which I paid about $4 a gallon for a few years back.

MS5K
MAG1
Trop Artic (even though this is a blend)

I can get these oils even cheaper than Super Tech at walmart from a local stores.

PYB (it is good stuff)
MS5K
NextGen Conventional (yes...I said it)

These oils in no particular order appear to be outstanding. I have been very impressed with the Nextgen UOA's and I have a feeling Ashland/Valvoline would not risk their reputation on a sup-par product.

For the new API SN conventionals:

#1: PYB. Strongest add pack (high TBN, high Moly).

#2: QSGB. Great add pack w/Moly and good starting TBN.

#3: Tie between Formula Shell and Havoline. FS is almost identical on paper to QSGB, but Havoline has a good add pack and good strong starting TBN (only complaint about Havoline is its a bit on the thin side).

Honorable mention: VWB, GTX, MC5K. I like my sodium in my food, not my oil.

Valvoline, Pennzoil and GTX.

Although I have a hard time not including Mobil Super in the top three... I admit it's a near dead heat between it and GTX but GTX has a longer track record so I gave it the nod.

I agree that PYB has a great additive package and looks best (at least on paper)....It's my #1 choice in dinos....

1. Havoline/Chevron Supreme-I give it the edge on price. Great performance-for modest money especially! 13.42 @ Wally's daily for 5 qt. Just a song more than ST!

2. PYB- requires no explanation!

3. Valvoline- probably won't hang in long drain (TBN) wise quite as long as the others but seems to hold up in the face of fuel like no other. Will shame most OTC syns, actually, in this regard! If talking DI engines, I move it to number 1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: REDDOG

3. Valvoline- probably won't hang in long drain (TBN) wise quite as long as the others but seems to hold up in the face of fuel like no other. Will shame most OTC syns, actually, in this regard! If talking DI engines, I move it to number 1.

I've noticed that too, which should also make it a good inexpensive option for a short tripper as well.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
What's on sale.
What's the cheapes in the absence of sale.
Which jug I like the most if prices are very close.

Usually something like this.

My preferences for my current vehicle are:

1: PYB
2: GSAD
3: Rotella

Oils with higher moly amounts seem to make my Outback happier (less piston slap) so I stay with them when I don't have FAR synthetic to run.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
1. Havoline/Chevron Supreme-I give it the edge on price. Great performance-for modest money especially! 13.42 @ Wally's daily for 5 qt. Just a song more than ST!

2. PYB- requires no explanation!

I know that Maxlife Nextgen provided a really good UOA from my old BMW even with 2.9% fuel, so maybe Valvoline oils realy are good with fuel dilution.
The oil also had strong TBN after 4K and could have been run much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back