What would you do - mower sat 5 yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look on youtube for "Briggs carburetor". If it does not run, or it surges up and down in RPMs, get the diaphragm kit for about five bucks from any small engine shop, or any hardware store (the hardware store may have to order it).

The diaphragm uses the crankcase vacuum to pump fuel to the carburetor. When the diaphragm does not work good enough the carburetor does not get enough fuel. The engine runs lean and because it is lean the engine speeds up. When the engine speeds up the diaphragm supplies enough fuel. When the diaphragm supplies enough fuel the carburetor gets enough fuel and the engine no longer runs lean, and the engine runs at the proper RPMs. When the engine runs at the proper RPMs the bad diaphragm can not pump enough fuel to the carb and the whole cycle of lean with high RPMs followed by proper amount of fuel with the engine running at the proper RPMs repeats over and over again.

The cycle of high RPMs / low RPMs will keep repeating, but when it is running lean at high RPMs the cylinder and piston are being abused and wearing out faster than they should. Besides, that up down repeated revving can really get on your nerves if you understand what it is and how easy it is to fix.

Briggs engines are tough. Keep a good carburetor diaphragm on it, change the oil about every 25 hours of use, put fuel stabilizer such as Sta-Bil in it if the gas is going to be around for more than a month, and be darn sure not to hit any hard objects such as rocks, tree stumps, bricks, or tools that the brother in law borrowed and left outside when done with them, with the blade and that engine can outlast the owner.

Last edited:
If mechanical things mystify you go with a new gas or maybe even the electric(Gawd did I really type that?)...

I find half the fun in my old Snapper mowers is the marvelment others have when I loan them one of my old 30+ year old beaters that runs/cuts circles around their new one... Happened just this past weekend...

For that size yard I'd go Electric too.

The Neuton Cordless we have and use for the upper part of our yard is the most worry free OPE I have ever owned.

if you choose an electric--make sure you buy it from a place that will let you return it for a full refund---they are not worth the scrap value of the metal they are made of
Second--be prepared for your neighbors to laugh hysterically every time you use it

First house. First mower. Good luck.

Keep the freebie mower, get it running, use 10w-30 oil of your choice. Drain any old gas, put in new with some Seafoam.

Sharpen the blade. Make a shop in this new house if possible so you can work on this mower, sharpen the blade, run from the wimmin folk, etc.

Always wear sturdy shoes when you mow. Don't mow with wet grass. Clean the deck out with a hose after you mow, then run it for a few minutes to clear out/dry out the deck. Turn the mower over to work on it carb side up. I mark the wrench size and plug type on the mower with a sharpie so I can get the correct size BEFORE I start work.

Mowers are fun. Don't get electric.

Originally Posted By: steve20
if you choose an electric--make sure you buy it from a place that will let you return it for a full refund---they are not worth the scrap value of the metal they are made of
Second--be prepared for your neighbors to laugh hysterically every time you use it

I agree. An electric mower could be superior in every way and I would still use a gas mower. Besides, how do you change the oil and spark plug on an electric mower???

Don't be this guy.
electric-mower1.jpg

If his neighbors were to laugh indeed, it would be from their stupidity, as they are suckers giving their hard earned money to fat oil executives and foreign terrorists, LOL!

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

If his neighbors were to laugh indeed, it would be from their stupidity, as they are suckers giving their hard earned money to fat oil executives and foreign terrorists, LOL!

I guess electricity from your local power plant is free?

Originally Posted By: FZ1
No electrics,thank you. Real men use gas and oil in their mowers.

Real men don't need toys to inflate their manhood.
Then why do they make them?.,,,

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Cheaper than gasoline last time I checked. Also powered by made in USA coal and natural gas, unlike the Saudi oil we import (and have to keep troops in middle east).

First question to the OP, do you have a fenced in back yard or other obsticles like trees to mow around? If so get the free gas one. It takes me an hour and a half to mow .25 acre with a fence, and it would probably take you 2 hours to do that if you were pulling 200 foot of extention cord around getting caught on everything. Not worth the trouble.

Cheaper than gasoline last time I checked. Also powered by made in USA coal and natural gas, unlike the Saudi oil we import (and have to keep troops in middle east).

First question to the OP, do you have a fenced in back yard or other obsticles like trees to mow around? If so get the free gas one. It takes me an hour and a half to mow .25 acre with a fence, and it would probably take you 2 hours to do that if you were pulling 200 foot of extention cord around getting caught on everything. Not worth the trouble.

Well this is an oil forum....

Anyhow.

Buy a good cordless Electrical mower and feel good about it.

I repeat myself.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Well I am moving into my house this weekend. I will need a lawn mower very soon. A push mower would be just fine.
I have one offered to me for free but hasn't been run in 5 years. It's a little Briggs. Would you keep that one or buy a new one. Also what kind of oil should I run? Thanks everyone.

Congratulations on the new house...!

Had a very similar situation over the this past 4th of July holiday. Brought a mower to a vacation home that hadn't bent started since '98 . It was free and easy to transport so why not....?

New plug ... Clean air filter... a few shots of carb cleaner ... fresh gas (probably half a pint - just enough to put an inch on the bottom of the tank)

Pulled on that cord forever and finally got it sputtering with the help of some starter fluid

Ran that gas out and push a splash of MMO in the gas tank along with another inch of gas. Fired it up and a good sized plume of smoke fogged out for about 2 seconds

Ran that out.... Did the same thing again: Splash of MMO and an inch of gas

No lie... By the end of that very day, the pull cord was so easy a baby could have started this thing. One pull and it started right up and ran strong

Blew me away

Take the freebie... Nothing to lose/lots to gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back