What would cause this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On some forums I cannot see posted pictures but it's apparent that others can. No red X, nothing at all. No privacy settings have been changed, no gremlins to be found. Using Explorer currently but experienced same with FireFox..... Suggestions? Some smilies that are animated no longer appear that way, they are just stationary. Laptop uses a P4 3.06 with 1.5 Ram so I'm not "underpowered".

I would say to log in and try to view them if you aren't already. Some forums restrict photo viewing to users who are only logged in.

Other than that, if its an older thread, it's possible that the photos have been removed from the hosting site.

Idiosyncrasies happen.

PC running IE, I can't see some picts from time to time.
PC running FF, I can't see some videos from time to time.

Refreshing doesn't help. Rebooting does sometimes. It's mostly a cache issue. Sometimes the little guy inside the box thinks and says the image has been sent to the display....but he lies.

Quote:

Idiosyncrasies happen.

PC running IE, I can't see some picts from time to time.
PC running FF, I can't see some videos from time to time.

Refreshing doesn't help. Rebooting does sometimes. It's mostly a cache issue. Sometimes the little guy inside the box thinks and says the image has been sent to the display....but he lies.

It's exasperating because it's auto detailing forums where pictures are the main draw.

I think I'll try it on a different computer to see if that's the way it is or just this machine.

Disable your firewall/antivirus/antispyware/anti.... programs, bypass your routers/switches,......
Try opendns.

Give Netscape or Opera a run.

What OS, version of IE, updates, background or protection programs?

XP Home, IE 7 (same results with 6), Spy Sweeper, EZ & Windows Firewalls, AVG anti-virus.

Please explain opendns. I do run ipconfig/flushdns from command prompt every now and then.

I've done it for the five years of ownership of this Toshiba laptop with never a previous problem or infection. I have recently gone to Windows Live One Care for the trial period to see how well it does. Once firewall currently.

If you have any ad-busting software this can cause it.

If a forum is hosted on xyz.com, and the pic on abc.com, the ad-busting software assumes it's not related because most ad services are seperate domains, like doubleclick or ads by google.

That it de-animates animated gifs is another indicator-- most ads are gifs, most legit pictures jpgs.

Your ISP might be doing this for you also, esp if you picked manic privacy settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back