What was your first gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first gun I ever fired was a Winchester 69 22lr bolt gun, but my very first was a Mossberg 500 Bantam my dad gave me to hunt with when I was 13.

That gun survived me, another kid, and he put an adult stock on it and gave it to his father. A true working mans gun indeed. Cheap, effective, and rugged.

The first gun I bought was a used Browning Auto 5 12ga light model. It was a Japanese made one, and I miss it to death. It was stolen from our house 8 years ago.
frown.gif

I didn't start shooting till my teens. My first rifle was a Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08. My next rifle was a pre-64 Classic Winchester Model 70 in .270 Win. My current ride is a Remington Model 700 CDL in 7mm Remington Magnum with a 26 inch barrel.

My first rifle was a 1953 Hungarian M44. Then I bought a Model 60 .22lr

Last edited:
The first gun I ever fired was an American Eagle single shot .22 bolt action. The first one I ever bought was a .44 cal cap and ball Uberti. It was a Remington Army Model copy. A lot of fun to shoot and generated tons of smoke. I bought that at a little gun shop in San Diego when I was stationed at NAS Miramar in '72. Took it right home. Things have changed a lot in California since then I suppose.

I got my own first gun just a couple/few years ago, having lived my life without things like shooting trap: Remington Wingmaster 12GA Magnum w/ 30" barrel and full choke(!).

Sadly, I have yet to skyblast any pesky Canada Geese.

The Wingmaster is a beautiful, solid gun. My wife now wants me to buy her one in 20GA.

My first was a Marlin-Glenfield model 60 bolt action, magazine fed .22lr with a 4X tasco scope. I was 10 when my Dad gave it to me for X-Mas. Still have it. If I had a penny for every round it has fired, I would be a millionaire. The rifling grooves are starting to come out of the muzzle. It is more like a .25 caliber now!
banana2.gif

NEF 12ga. single shot, got it when I was 11 years old. Many rabbits/pheasants/clays/various water fowl have met there end with this gun.

My first weapon (gun) was given to me (held for me) at about age 6 months. It was a 1918 (9mm) German Luger taken as a war trophy by my dad in the last year of WWII. Later, at age 14 my dad bought me a .410 single shot bolt action Mossberg shotgun.

The first one I bought myself was a .22 Sturm-Ruger auto pistol at about age 15. I was never allowed a BB gun but I had shot them, probably first. Growing up around the army and brought to firing ranges off and on, from age 10 to 16 I became very familiar with both the air cooled and water cooled .30 MG types, and the .50 Cal MG; the 81mm, and 4.2" mortors; and the 75mm, 105mm and 106mm recoilless rifles. I could field strip an M-1 Garand before I finished Jr. HS. LOL, after Dad retired from the army I just about lost all interest in civilian "guns."

Ruger 10/22 base model carbine.

First gun I ever shot was a Ruger Mark II bull barrel. When people are interested in learning how to shoot, that's always the gun I begin with.

The first gun I shot was a Savage .22 model 4-c.
When I was younger and dumber the first gun I wanted was an UZI 9mm.
First gun I bought was a Mossberg marinecoat shotgun.

Sometime shortly after I was born, Dad swapped an old camera for a Savage/Stevens single-barrel .410 shotgun. It had- still has, for that matter- a hollow plastic stock(mottled brown color, called Tenite I think).

It was mine- but only when I was out with Dad, of course! I first got to shoot it at age 5. Bagged my first squirrel with it at the ripe old age of 7. Best load for it always was, & still is, 3" shells with #7 1/2 shot.

But time marched on, younger brothers came along, and around here, back then, it was sort of a rite of passage that a boy often got a real gun of his own at age 12 or so. Most often a .22 rifle or a shotgun.

The first gun that was *really* mine I got at age 12, for Christmas, at which time the .410 was officially passed down to my next younger brother. What was it? A brand spanking new Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 ga shotgun. And you better believe I still have it!
grin2.gif

First gun I ever shot? Winchester Model 52B with bull barrel. Way back in 1949 or 1950, belonged to my brother, now belongs to me.

First rifle I shot was my Dad's Marlin 39A.
First pistol was his S&W K22 revolver. Both in 22lr.

My first gun was a Colt Woodsman 4" semi-auto. Next was a Colt Diamond Back 4" in 22lr.

First center fire was a S&W model 27 4".

The start of a major hobby....
grin2.gif

Bill

PS: I've got the Marlin and K22 when my Dad sold them. I'll have them till I die.

Well I got a new oldest yesterday. My uncle gave me three of my Grandfathers guns. An early Mossy 500 20ga, an early 60's Remington Wingmaster 870, and the new oldest gun a 1914 vintage Model 1897 Winchester 12ga.

As former farm guns they are all sort of beat to heck as far as the finish goes but they are all tight mechanically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back