What truck would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dareo
Originally Posted By: horse123
What do you guys think of Cummins trucks from 98-02? I'm finding a handful of those when I look.

They can have VP44 injector pumps fail.

Is that a big "gonna need to be in the shop for a week and nearly total the truck" deal, or is it a few hundred dollars and half a day in a good mechanic's garage?

Part alone is around $1k, not terribly hard to install. Could fail as early as, in my case, 45k miles. Some trucks go 200k on a pump.

Years ago I had a perfect 2002 cummins 6 speed laramie and the VP44 thing upset me enough to put the truck up for sale. Unfortunately it sold very quickly, even though it ran on very low power with a half busted pump. I wish i still had that truck today. I even upgraded to a FASS fuel system to prevent VP44 problems, but it still happened. It was such a nice truck, i would get over 20 mpg on freeway runs.

Sounds like low maintenance means avoid the 2002ish cummins then... just won't have the money or time for it while I own this vehicle.

You probably need to focus on gassers then. Diesel trucks in general are going to require more maintenance and will have more expensive parts to replace. They all have something that can happen...injector pumps on the Cummins, HEUI injectors on Navistars, and even injectors on early Duramaxes...that's just on old trucks. Newer trucks with their assortment of emissions equipment are a whole different can of worms.

Generally people with more reliable diesels know what they have and price accordingly. A 2003 Ford Super Duty with a 7.3L diesel is likely going to cost thousands of dollars more than a 2003 Ford Super Duty that is mostly the same, but with the 6.0L diesel instead.

If you're towing all the time, go for a diesel, but 3-4 times a year with not that extreme of a load, and reasonable maintenance/repair costs being a consideration, I'd be mostly looking at gassers.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: CKN
For $10,000.00 you will not get much. Used trucks are priced crazy right now.

Low gas prices causing that?

A mid level - half ton truck MSRP is close to $46,000.00. Yes, lower gas prices and new ones are expensive. My mid-level 2011-Silverado had a sticker price of $34,500.00. Transaction price was less than $26,000.00 (plus fees). New trucks sticker at $46,000.00 and the transaction price is $36,000.00 (plus fees). Yes, the new ones have more advanced electronics but they are still TEN GRAND MORE. Kelley Blue book says my depreciation has been about $6,000.00 in 5 years.

According to Autotrader original MSRP mid level:

2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 Crew Cab LT: $35,000
2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 Crew Cab LT: $41,965

Inflation calculator:
2011 $35,000 would be in today's dollars $37,380.

$4,585 difference and then really depends on the features of each trim.

LT-1 is decent equipment. I have looked-on the dealer's lot-they are 10 grand more. A comparable truck TO WHAT I HAVE is 10 grand more. There are option packages your not including. The standard trucks have the V6-which most truck owners don't want. I am not going to get in to the details of the different option packages with you.

Last edited:
Sounds like low maintenance means avoid the 2002ish cummins then... just won't have the money or time for it while I own this vehicle.

Well, any big truck will be a hassle with this or that. Compared to a DPF diesel a 2002 cummins is pretty great. You might have the pump problem but thats about all they suffer from, engine wise. Transmissions, front end stuff, dash, lots of things to go wrong in order to enjoy that cummins.

I thought about buying a Ford V10. They are very reliable, low maintenance, good power, just drinks gas like mad. Not a big deal for me since i don't do a lot of truck miles.

If you can't find something locally, look a few major cities over. I had to go to Alabama to get my truck, a 97 F250 7.3 PSD 4x4 5 speed ex-cab, completely rust free. It's not perfect, has a few leaks, interior is faded, single mass flywheel conversion makes a lot of noise. I spent $5300 on the truck, and about $1600 on parts to get it where I wanted it, mind you I drove it 4 hours home no problem. New parts: new rear brakes, new aluminum radiator, thermostat and housing, new front lockout hub, all new fluids, 4" turbo back exhaust, new degas bottle, add-a-leaf kit for the front, 4 new shocks, alignment, international CPS, and a 3" drop hitch for pulling my trailer.

Sometimes too, if you're lucky, you can find a nice pre-powerstroke (94.5) 7.3 idi in a Ford 3/4 or ton truck. Almost completely mechanical, simple, reliable, and much cheaper to maintain when compared to the powerstroke, or other newer diesels. They are weak by today standards though, and pretty slow. A lot of guys that run them still run them on vegetable oil or old waste oil. Pretty cool to have alternate fuel sources when fuel prices spike again.

Most 1/2 ton trucks made in the last 15 years will have the power you need but just don't have enough "truck". Look into either brand 3/4 ton and it will suit your needs. I know around me the 3/4 tons that are gas are really no more expensive that the 1/2 tons.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The usual culprit for a failed VP44 is a bad lift pump.

I was reading about that today and it sounds like put a good ~$500 pump in and you shouldn't have problems with the injector pump?

You can still have VP44 problems even with a good lift pump. I had a fully upgraded FASS system providing higher pressure perfectly filtered fuel and it still died. This was the original pump and about 45k miles on the truck.

If you find a great deal on a VP44 cummins i would still buy it, its not really that big of a deal, and i really miss my old Cummins.

Five years reliable daily driver use along with the ability to comfortably tow a fairly hefty trailer along with cheap and easy maintenance. Must be 4X4. All for 10K.
Not asking for much are you?
If you keep looking, you'll eventually run across a deal and that will dictate what you end up with more than any brand or fuel preference.

Anyone have anything to say about 05-07 powerjo... er... powerstrokes? (6.0)

One website says for the 05 model year a lot of the issues were fixed so it's not as bad as 03/04. Anyone agree or disagree?

There are several 6.0s in that year range near me for $11,000 or less.

Last edited:
Anyone have anything to say about 05-07 powerjo... er... powerstrokes? (6.0)

Run away as fast as you can unless you are willing to repower with a Cummins. As in: i would not own one FREE unless I was planning to repower it. Do not pay more than scrap value.

Quote:
One website says for the 05 model year a lot of the issues were fixed so it's not as bad as 03/04. Anyone agree or disagree?

Absolute unadulterated garbage from beginning to end. The problems are inherent in the engine design.

Quote:
There are several 6.0s in that year range near me for $11,000 or less.

And there is a VERY good reason for that...just like you can get a sweet deal on a house in downtown Detroit!

Good to know. There were also a couple duramaxes in that price range from the early 2000s... those generally have significantly less power than a modern gas engine though. Complete waste of money IMO

There is a nice LBZ in the range but it does have 240k miles on it. Not a lot for a 2006 really, but a lot for any vehicle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back