what to use for fuel transfer (siphoning)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know what's the best thing to use these days for sucking old fuel out of vehicle gas tanks? My old hand transfer pump died. The neighbor bought a simple goody called 'the rattler' from Northern that apparently had a check ball deal that was sposed to siphon, but he said it didn't work. I don't really want a more complex electric pump type deal-thanks-Dan Mpls. Mn

what kind of vehicle.. most you cant get more than 6" down the neck nowadays.

I have one of those rattlers works great for transferring 5gal can to car, or siphoning my tractor
mJwolll3KlbkA9eMivdnxvQ.jpg

I just set the gas can up on the trash can (its a large can)

put the siphon down in the can shake it up and down a few times and voila.. 2-3 min later the can has about 1/4 gal left..
go onto next can..

then finish off the cans with a funnel for last bit.

You wont have any luck with any modern car. siphoning gas OUT.

Last edited:
If you're talking fuel injected it's usually pretty easy to find a flex hose and clamp that can be undone. The fuel filter is one opportunity and the hoses near the engine are another. Jumper the relay and let the pump go to work.

I drain clunkers before the junkyard takes them.
01.gif

Thanks-the cars are generaly a mix of 60's-80's. I think that the shaker/rattler is probably the best way to go from what's out there, but it has it's limitations. I think something like a hand pump to start the gas going and then turning a bypass valve to continue the flow would be nice, but it doesn't appear there's anything like that-maybe have to cobble something together.

If you're daring, you can just stick a hose in there and suck on it to get it started, carefully, unless you want a mouthful of gasoline.

Originally Posted By: default
If you're daring, you can just stick a hose in there and suck on it to get it started, carefully, unless you want a mouthful of gasoline.

My way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back