What the heck happened to oil prices !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a big change my own oil guy for years, I got a new travel job and got out of it for the past 4 years. I decided to go back to synthetics and start changing my own oil again.

So, I go to the auto parts place and look for oil,, WOW you mean in 4 years Dyno oil is $5.00 a Qt and Syn is $8.99 !!

When I was chaging it 4 years ago I could get Dyno for $1.99 and Mobil 1 and PP for $ 5.99

What the heck happened ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sHERM
I was a big change my own oil guy for years, I got a new travel job and got out of it for the past 4 years. I decided to go back to synthetics and start changing my own oil again.

So, I go to the auto parts place and look for oil,, WOW you mean in 4 years Dyno oil is $5.00 a Qt and Syn is $8.99 !!

When I was chaging it 4 years ago I could get Dyno for $1.99 and Mobil 1 and PP for $ 5.99

What the heck happened ?

The B&M stores play games with the "change specials" each month. I would never buy any synthetic at the store for more than $6/qt.

Just wait until your preferred oil is part of the 5qt + filter for $30 deals, then buy what you need.

Funny thing is, they rotate through the major brands every month, so all you need to do is just look at their competitor to see who has your oil.

You can still get M1 for less than $6/qt, you just need to wait for a sale to come around. That's why our Rebates/Promotions subforum is such an active place these days.
smile.gif

You need to buy your oil at WalMart instead of an auto parts store. At my local WalMart, they even have Purolator, Motorcraft, Delco, and Mopar oil filters.

The oil at auto parts stores is horribly priced unless they are having a sale. That's just the way it is. You wait for sales and buy it then.

Last edited:
Yea, I need 7 Qts for my F-150. So I buy a 5 Qt jug on Saturday and a "Free" filter for the package price of $32.99 and then I have to buy 2 Qts extra at $8.99. Darn, those free filters are expensive !!

Originally Posted By: dparm
The B&M stores play games with the "change specials" each month. I would never buy any synthetic at the store for more than $6/qt.

Just wait until your preferred oil is part of the 5qt + filter for $30 deals, then buy what you need.

Funny thing is, they rotate through the major brands every month, so all you need to do is just look at their competitor to see who has your oil.

Agreed - you should never need to wait more than 2 months before one chain or the other is running a special on your preferred brand.

No one that I know of pays full retail price for oil... so says the 50+ quarts of TDT I got at less than $5 each. Just got 2 OCIs worth of Mobil 1 0w20 and Bosch filters for the 5 (currently on special at AutoZone & Pep Girls). Oil came out to $5.25/quart vs $9.99 regular retail price, even found some of the older SM formulated oil. And still cheaper that Wall-of-China Mart.

Right now, Valvoline seems to be giving away NextGen as it is free AMIR.

Havoline DS is $12.99 for a 5.1 Quart jug.

It's not $5.00 a Quart.....

Just buy 2 OCI specials, you will have a few quarts left over but that just means I only have to buy 1 OCI special the next time.

...WOW you mean in 4 years Dyno oil is $5.00 a Qt and Syn is $8.99 !!
What the heck happened ?

I was similarly shocked awhile back. Prices had almost doubled from the last time I'd bought oil. I tend to buy 10-20 gallons of oil at a time, in quarts and gallon jugs. Typically, that will last for about one-two years, so I hadn't even gone down the oil aisle at WalMart for some time.

Traditionally the price of quarts was not tied to the peaks and valleys of the price of barrels, although there was a steady creep in quart prices, as with everything else. I guess the temptation was too much for the Exxon/Mobils, BPs, and their cohorts. They’ve had incredible success with sticking it to us on gasoline prices, why not try it with the price of quarts ?

There is no legitimate reason, it’s just pure, unadulterated greed. The rich get richer.

Keith

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
If your comparing oil prices to 4 years ago, make the same comparison to a gallon of milk. Milk has gone up more.

Not around my parts. Dino oil went from 2 bucks to 4.50 or so, milk went from 2 bucks to about 2.50.

John

I've also learned to perform some due diligence and shop around using tools like Google Products.

Case in point...Motul 300V is $31.95 for a 2L can, making it $16/L. With some smart shopping/coupons/cash back/offers you can get it for $11/L.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
People keep posting this topic, I just don't see it. Prices are down at Walmart.

Down from what?? Oil is WAY high from even a few years ago.

Oil was higher than it is now at WM. Went up $1-2 a jug for a while, went back down. Don't get me wrong, I don't think oil is cheap. But groceries have gone up a lot more recently according to my receipts.

Spend a few minutes in the Product Rebates, etc forum.
You can get Valvoline Nexgen from AAP for the cost of sales tax at the moment, for example.
GET will no doubt have a new FAR offer for labor day, IMHO.
You could have gotten enough G-OIL FAR for at least five changes over the past year and a half.
My point is that you don't have to pay shelf prices for oil.
There's always a deal somewhere on something good.
You might not run either Nextgen or G-Oil as long as you would M1, but for what you pay for the oil net, it doesn't matter, and both oils have shown very low wear metals on moderate drain intervals in UOAs posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back