What size generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the replies.

It appears anything under 5000 watts is out the question for my needs. Our well is 280 ft deep but strangely enought the water table in my area is fairly high. I think they drilled the well during a mulit-year drought in the mid- 1960's.

Also, I'd still like to safely run other misc. items beside the essentials.

When they drill a well it has to be able to supply seven gallons per minute before you can get a loan to build. It may be that they drilled deep to get the required 7 gallons per minute ability.

A big Yamaha inverter generator would be quiet and supply enough power but also sip gas compared to a lower cost generator that turns 3600 RPM's all the time. Of course you pay for it up front with the high cost.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
A big Yamaha inverter generator would be quiet and supply enough power but also sip gas compared to a lower cost generator that turns 3600 RPM's all the time. Of course you pay for it up front with the high cost.

How are inverters/generators at handling the starting loads of electric motors?

It depends on what size inv. genset it is....
AFAIK, if you turn off eco throttle, it spins at full RPM constant.

My only issue with the inv. is the longevity/lifespan/durability of the circuit board.

For example, a $900 Honda genset, the replacement cost for the board is $600

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I generally recommend generators by HP. Not by rated watts.

A 9HP generator will generally start and run a 1.5 electric pump motor, without difficulty. A submerged pump can be a little different, as submerged pumps really do work hard, and they are on the end of a long wire run (more power is often necessary) .

My TN property has a small, low pressure 200 foot submerged pump and the HF 3500W generator will "just barely" start and run it. AND, it won't run anything else at the same time.

My 11HP Subaru powered genset will run it without trouble. Along with other consumers at the same time.

+1

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I generally recommend generators by HP. Not by rated watts.

A 9HP generator will generally start and run a 1.5 electric pump motor, without difficulty. A submerged pump can be a little different, as submerged pumps really do work hard, and they are on the end of a long wire run (more power is often necessary) .

My TN property has a small, low pressure 200 foot submerged pump and the HF 3500W generator will "just barely" start and run it. AND, it won't run anything else at the same time.

My 11HP Subaru powered genset will run it without trouble. Along with other consumers at the same time.

Two comments:
1) More OPE is being sold by displacement rather than HP these days.
2) The depth of the pump makes no difference. Its how far down the water is. If the pump is down a mile and your water starts at 100' down, you are only effectively pumping it 100'.
You'd still have the fluid friction of a mile of pipe to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back