what should I do about this rust spot? PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the other side of the hood look the same? The hood isn't an aftermarket one?

Wonder what Honda's corrosion warranty is.

edit: looks like 5yrs/unlimited miles.

Last edited:
If it were me, I would scrape that rust bubble off carefully, spot sand it with sandpaper to remove rust and smooth the edge out, apply Rustoleum rusty metal primer with a little artist brush and follow up with the actual car touch up paint over top from Autozone, etc. Once the paint bubble cracks anyway, it will be rusty so why not get it to stop sooner than later.

I would do the same under the hood too.

I haven't seen a hood rust out like that on any vehicle since my old '78 C10 where the bug deflector hid the rusty mess. 2008 seems kinda "new-ish"

Sand all underhood rust off to clean metal. Use a good 2k primer and paint with matching paint. Also, go over to Por15 website and look at their rust preventing stuff. Can coat the other areas you can't reach to stop them from spreading as much as possible.

Sand all underhood rust off to clean metal. Use a good 2k primer and paint with matching paint. Also, go over to Por15 website and look at their rust preventing stuff. Can coat the other areas you can't reach to stop them from spreading as much as possible.

I'd remove all traces of the rust, get it clean, and brush on a good metal primer [2 coats] then top it off with finish paint. Once that dries get some good rust proofing compound and rust proof the underside of the hood.

Its common on a lot of Japanese cars especially when painted with metallic, eg every Nissan Micra is blue under the hood and inside all the their inner body pieces.

Since it looks like it has existed for a while I would;

A. look for others with the same issue

B. Try to get Honda to fix it even though it is past warranty

C. make sure they didn't have some sort of narrow recall or TSB about it.

8 chicago winters and thats all you have your lucky , you will have hidden rust under the car and in hidden places

I have 1car with out rust itcame from georgia and I park it every winter

Yeah I'd contact Honda..seems like alot of rust for an 08...

None under my hood..and they use tons of salt in winter here..

I would pop bubble, sand area down to metal, only removing rusted material, prime and touch up. For under hood, wire brush, sand off all rust. POR15(get sample kit, it's enough) the area per instructions, prep for paint, buy spray can of matching paint and paint over treated/prepped area. That should buy you decent about of time for the least amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back