What oil to use in my Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I've used Valvoline in my truck for some time, but recently discovered that it causes my oil pressure switch to clog up, which makes the computer think the pressure is all out of wack. I found that a simple oil change fixes the issue, but I'd like to prevent it in the future and try to revers any build up. My truck is an 2008 Chevy Silverado 5.3L Flex Fuel capable with 119K miles. I do not run flex fuel. I use my truck as a daily driver around town and to work most days. It is a mix of highway and city driving. The only issue I have with the engine is the gumming up I already described. My owners manual recommends to change the oil every 3,000 mi and with SAE 5W-30. I decide to start changing my oil myself instead of one of those stand alone oil shops so I'm not entirely sure what oil would be the best option or even where to start. Any advice would be appreciated.

Well, just switch brands and see if this works for you! If your OPS still clogs up, then it's not the Valvoline Oil, IMHO! It certainly seems weird that Valvoline oil would be the cause of your pressure switch clogging! I'd almost have to say that there is another reason that the OPS is clogging up.

Good Luck,

CB
smile.gif

I had the 5.3L in a Tahoe I owned for about 9 years. Sold it with 188,xxx and didn't have any issues with it. I ran mostly Amsoil. Ran Redline for a couple of OCIs, Royal Purple once and Mobil 1 but went back to Amsoil. Run a good syn and a good filter.

Try PYB for an OCI or two. It has good cleaning abilities.

It really my just be a flaky sensor. My avalanche has that problem now, and has been on synthetic for years so its not sludge. You may need to change the oil pressure sensor to fix this.

For starters, you might want to go to the used oil analysis section on this sight and look for your particular engine and the oil that was used and how long it was used and how it held up in use. It might take afew minutes to find some but I bet you do.

Back to your question, I think any reputable dino oil will hold up for your 3k mile change interval. And I suspect a lot longer. The Valvoline oils, mobil 5k oil, Pennzoil yellow bottle and many more will serve you well.

If you want to extend your oil interval, Mobil 1 synthetic can be gotten at Wal mart for about 26 bucks or so for 5 quart jug and has been proven to be a great oil for many many years.

You will find many preferences from folks on this site. The key to longer engine life is changing it regularly with a quality product.

Happy reading on this site. I am sure you can find many things of interest to you.

And by the way,
welcome2.gif

I use Mobil 1 in my 5.3L 2007 Tahoe and follow the OLM which takes it much farther than 3000 miles. OPS still working properly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrMirra62
My owners manual recommends to change the oil every 3,000 mi and with SAE 5W-30.

It recommends a strict mileage interval, over the Oil Life Monitor?

Other than a possible malfunctioning oil pressure switch, do you have any other indicators that the engine is actually gummed up?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, this is taken directly from the 2009 Silverado Owner's Manual, and I'm just not seeing where your oil needs to be changed every 3,000 miles.

The only mention of 3,000 miles is in the last paragraph, and that only applies to after someone accidentally resets the Oil Life Monitor in the middle of a run.

When to Change Engine Oil

This vehicle has a computer system that indicates when
to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on
engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on
mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at
which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably.
For the oil life system to work properly, the system must
be reset every time the oil is changed.

When the system has calculated that oil life has been
diminished, it indicates that an oil change is necessary.
A CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes on.
See DIC Warnings and Messages on page 3-66. Change
the oil as soon as possible within the next 600 miles
(1 000 km). It is possible that, if driving under the best
conditions, the oil life system might not indicate that an oil
change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine
oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at
this time the system must be reset. Your dealer/retailer
has trained service people who will perform this work
using genuine parts and reset the system. It is also
important to check the oil regularly and keep it at the
proper level.

If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be
changed at 3,000 miles (5 000 km) since the last oil
change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed.

I owned a 2005 Silverado with the 5.3 and simply ran synthetic (whatever was on sale) and a good filter. I used the OLM and changed the oil when it said to. Ran great, traded it in and top KBB trade in value with 113K miles.

Valvoline is good oil, so I'd put my money on the sensor being screwball.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I believe it was the Valvoline oil because the last oil change I had done I got Pennzoil, and I have not had the same symptoms I had before toward the end of my oil life. This is just what I've noticed. Other then that I have no proof it was that oil. Some further research I did on another forum I belong to show there is a AFM screen just below the OPS that is notorious for clogging up and throwing the sensor out of whack. I believe this is the same issue I was having, but its a real pain to retrieve the screen and clean it out. I will prob use Pennzoil again this time and order some Amsoil for my next change.

BTW, mrsilv04 Thanks for the clarification, I didn't read the entire section, I'll admit I only looked for the numbers. But this makes sense.

It was the Valvoline? What I can say without any doubt is I tried to run Valvoline syn blend high mileage and the oil wouldn't go over 4k without motor rattles. I went to dexos Pennzoil same weight and now right at 5k and still on full mark no rattles. Mom has 12 Impala which we only run dexos Pennzoil and change it out at 5k. 2 different driving patterns as my 06 Vue goes almost a year at this mileage and she goes 2 months. Impala has 45k and Vue has 115k. Both bought used. Both run AC oil filters. Mother used to have her oil changed locally at my Brothers workplace and they use Valvoline which she let him change oil in her Chrysler 300 2.8 and at 120k every seal started leaking as well as carbon deposits cause engine lights. Take it as you will she traded Chrysler in on Impala with 150k which she sunk almost 3k on fixing engine light as well as oil leaks and tires. Took a loss but got tired spending so much and more breaking. Dad truck is 01 Silverado that ran only Pennzoil until he died and had nothing done on motor at 85k now brother takes it in. He states we will have to change oil sender and truck has 95k on now. Brother changed oil every 3k so that was 4 Valvoline oil changes in 4 years so sits up quite a bit. Again take it as you want. Brothers Chevy truck it think is 99 has 300k and uses anything and everything but changes oil regularly at 3k no motor work done.

Per tiger862 post, it appears the Pennzoil 5w30 Dexos oil is sufficiently shear stable which is what you need to help keep things clean. Use that or a bit thicker excellent oil - Pennzoil High Mileage 10w30...At 5.3K mile in my old Subaru, the engine does not have it's usual hot tick with PHM 10w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back