What oil filter is everyone using??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this 417k on one single Toyota, or four of them though? You never specify.

We realize you like OEM stuff, but the tone of your posts makes it sound like you're selling the stuff. You have to realize that just because it's OEM doesn't make it the best, it just means that company was the lowest bidder.

FRAM => I would like the data vs. M1, I missed it....

OEM STUFF => Got a guy at work 600,000+ miles on his Toyota. He uses Shucks Parts (NW Chain - Kragen, etc) .......says Toyota parts are "too expensive"...

When I was Employed as the Service manager at a Toyota -AMC Jeep Dealership many years back the only factory fluid stocked was the Jeep Quadra-Trac fluid. All other lubes and brake fluid/air filters came from CDI which is a wholesale Distributor in OKC,OK that member Johnny knows about in terms of stocking oils ect and if we were out of something we sent a runner to a local parts house.

The oil filters for Toyota were factory because then oil drainback valves were essential to use because of the hydraulic tensioned timing chains used in the various Toyota engines other than the Land Cruisers inline 6 and only Purolator had that style at the time.Later,the timing belt came.
The Jeeps and AMC's got Frams and the bulk oil was what was on sale at the time
Want to hear some lemon stories? I certainly have some! My GM buddies at the time had the best ones though.

Have you guys seen the new Frams????????????
They are using Neoprene drain back valves and a steel end cap. No,not that expensive one they have which is a silicone drain valve the plain old Frams.

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
Have you guys seen the new Frams????????????
They are using Neoprene drain back valves and a steel end cap. No,not that expensive one they have which is a silicone drain valve the plain old Frams.

Dragboat, which Fram did you cut open?? This must be a new one, because about a month ago I cut open several different model numbers of the regular Fram. Purolater goes to cardboard and Fram goes to steel
dunno.gif
-Joe

I wonder if Fram started improving it's filters because of all the bad stuff floating around the net about them? Long before this site was around I saw tons of bad stuff on the net about Fram. If you do a Google search on "Fram oil filters" you will come up with quite a few pages telling how bad they are. Fram must've wised up to this finally.

Although it'll be years and years before all the older bad Frams go through the system, especially up here in Canada. And how does one know if they are getting a new good one or one of the older ones?

I'll stick to the K&Ns thank you.

quote:

Originally posted by monarch:
joee12:

I do not use Toyota brand motor oil because Toyota has never stated it is the oil used as the factory fill. But I do use Toyota brand air, oil, and fuel filters and I use Toyota brand antifreeze and brake fluid because Toyota has said these are the factory original filters and fluids and because they cost about the same as equivalent aftermarket products available at auto parts stores (if purchased from an online Toyota discount dealer)

I thought this was a car care forum so I am sharing my experiences. My conclusion is
the Japanese engineers have figured out all the car durability secrets we need to know if only we were willing to follow their maintainance interval instructions and use the products they say are best to maintain our cars.

Monarch,

I love my Toyota Camry, and I trust Toyota parts and supplies too. I wish all automakers had as much attention to detail.

Cheers

cheers.gif

In my '98 F150.....Motorcraft or Purolator
in the wife's '00 Hyundai Elantra...AC-Delco or Purolator
In Mom's '97 Taurus....Motorcraft or Purolator

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Is this 417k on one single Toyota, or four of them though? You never specify.

We realize you like OEM stuff, but the tone of your posts makes it sound like you're selling the stuff. You have to realize that just because it's OEM doesn't make it the best, it just means that company was the lowest bidder.

Personally, I use only OEM filters on my three Toyotas and they have served me well for over ten years. Unfortunately, I can not say the same for the non-OEM brake rotors and exhaust system parts that I've had experience with. So as a result, I'm a big proponent of OEM parts. Toyota OEM parts are of high quality, they last a long time, if purchased at a discount they offer great value, and I love them! Does that mean I sell Toyota Parts? No!

Monarch is high on OEM parts and as evidenced by the impressive miles he's racked up on that Toyota pickup, his enthusiasm is understandable. At least two other folks here (who sell lube products), have in my opinion questioned Monarch's motives. And I have also noted that these same two folks are really enthusiastic for their products, as well they should be since they sell outstanding lubricants. But isn't questioning somebody else's enthusiasm for a particular product or line of products kind of like "the pot calling the kettle black" when you're selling something yourself?

This board has incredible information with so many knowledgeable people posting. I hope that everyone can be allowed to post their opinions regardless of what products they are using. Keep the information flowing. I just hope that an individual's enthusiasm is not met with a verbal beating or questioning of motives.

Again I do not sell anything for a living. My two “old” Toyotas use Mobil Drive Clean and the “new” car uses Mobil 1. I have used Auto-Rx in my oldest Camry and #131 Neutra in all three vehicles. All of these products, along with those OEM Toyota filters have kicked some serious tail in my applications, with both the Auto-Rx and #131 Neutra being especially noteworthy. If this sounded like an infomercial, then please accept my apologies.

I have been buying the OEM VW/Audi oil filters for my 2.3L, 5 cylinder Audi engine and I can also use this same filter on my 2.4L Tacoma pickup. You could also run this filter on the Toyota V-6 engines - it's the same dimensions as an SDF-34 or FRAM 3600, so it's 1.25" longer than an OEM Toyota filter.

These "MANN" filters have both an anti-drainback valve and an internal check valve. The by-pass valve opening pressure is 20-25 psid, as they are designed for the high volume VW/Audi oil pumps.

I get these from 3w.Audiquattroparts.com for $4.95 each. If you get ten at a time the price drops to $3.99 each. I haven't cut one of these open, but the quality of the threads is the best I've ever seen on any oil filter - never even the slightest burr. The canister wall thickness is high also.

These are as well made as the Mobil 1 or Amsoil filters for less than half the price ....I have no idea about filtering efficiency but quite honestly I don't think it matters, within reason. I feel comfortable running these for 10,000 miles/6 months between changes when used with synthetic oil.

I run Amsoil/Hastings filters in all vehicles.

'86 Burb - Long Version of SDF24 (Don't remember the designation) with BF90 By-pass.
'92 Burb - SDF23. No BP.
2001 Nissan - SDF20. No BP.

Also use and recommend Hastings HF922 for all hydraulics units.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
How much for the Toyota supercharger, including installation?
smile.gif

For my Camry, the supercharger was $2,210 and installation at the dealer (to preseve the powertrain warranty) ran $450. I'm not familiar with pricing on the superchargers for the 2.4 and 2.7 Tacomas though.

Too Slick,

Thanks for the info on the Mann filters. I checked their European website out in recent months and found applications for my Toyotas. I used to use MAnn filters on my VW and my local mechanic uses Mann filters exclusively.

offtopic.gif

Did you see my reply to you in another thread about the supercharger on my Camry? I was wondering if you were contemplating purchasing the TRD supercharger for your 2.4L Tacoma. That would really give your pickup some "pickup".

I've been using Fram filters on my Mopars for 25 years with no problems.That is the case in my drag race cars too.My Dad also is a Fram user,been that way forever.I also use Quaker State oil,but in my new 2002 Dodge truck,I recently switched on the 3rd oil change to Mobil 10w30 dino,and it seems to do pretty good.

[ November 29, 2002, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Chris 2421 ]

Amsoil on the LS400
Amsoil on the GS300
Amsoil on the Honda Lawn Tractor

If I own it, and it takes an oil filter, it's gonna be an SDF....

in my 2 (almost 3 years) of driving, i have used many dff types in the 4 cadillacs i have owned. the first car probably delco (92 seville)

for my 85 eldorado, i used a fram, a delco, and maybe 5 SHELL oil filters, old ones from a gas station i got for free.

on the 89 fleetwood, i used a delco and a fram

on my current 92 seville SLS, i have used 1 FRAM (noise at startup) 1 mobil 1 (noise at startup) and now only pf58's, but will use pf 59's next change

i think i used a pennzoil and supertech SOMEWHERE in that mix of cars!

Currently use Purolator PureONE on 2001 F150 with the 5.4L V8. I've also used M1 and Amsoil filters. Got the most lifter noise during cold starts with Amsoil filters. Thought it might be due to lack of a silicon anti-drainback valve? My motor seems to be real susceptible to lifter noise regardless of the filter used.

2001 GMC 4X4 Ext Cab Z71- Amsoil oil & air
2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Amsoil oil & air
1993 Lumina Sedan 3.1L - Amsoil oil & air

I'm using K&N HP series filters on my Toyota Camry V6, '91 Explorer V6, and my '02 Explorer V6. The thickness of the can is amazing and it is a high flow with decent efficiency. I will use oil analysis to see if it's doing it's job but I'm on the 1st oil change in all 3 vehicles with this filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back