What oil do you recommend for my 1999 Nissan Maxima?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

infrequent driving.

Just curious, what makes an oil good for infrequent driving?
smile.gif

Employee#8,

The Amsoil 10w-30 would work fine here as well. The Amsoil 5w-30 and 10w-30 use the same basic additive chemistry and can be used interchangably ....

TooSlick

Also:

remember the VQ series engines NEED NGK plugs, no other plugs are known to me (or to my nissaninfiniticlub.net) that work well.
Even the Bosch Plat are not the equal (in this application) of the NGK's.

Fred...
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
Also:

remember the VQ series engines NEED NGK plugs, no other plugs are known to me (or to my nissaninfiniticlub.net) that work well.

Fred...
smile.gif

Fred, did you change plugs on your Nissan/Infiniti VQ engine at 50,000 miles?

I've a 3.0 VQ '97 Max SE with 91k miles on the odo. Just had an oil analysis done using M1 SS 5W-30. Results were great in comparison to the Oil Analysis Spreadsheet on Maxima.org.

Lots of good advice in above posts, NGK plugs, Nissan coolant, OEM filters, ect. I use M1 and Redline MT-90 in the tranny and Redline SL-1 additive.

My starter went at 75k miles which is very common. The engine emits a huge cloud when the starter is going bad as the rpm isn't up to what the computer is looking for. I changed the starter myself. Those bolts are on there very, very tight. I wish manufacturers used never-sieze during assembly!

My Max doesn't seem to suffer from any major problems. Seems like some in my model year had problems with incorrect bearing shim in the transaxle leading to excessive seal wear and fluid leakage as well as ultimate failure. Not exactly common, but its out there.

The alternator was just replaced at 85k for free on a recall. At 90k I replaced the idler pulley ($60) which tensions the drive belt as it made some noise. Beyond that, at 91k miles it is astounding how well this car runs. I make a bi-annual run from the east coast to St. Louis. Out on the interstate, when I slide into 3rd gear at 4k at 60 mph and go WOT to 6500 redline, there's not much on those long stretches that can pull on the Max.

[ April 18, 2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: ex_MGB ]

quote:

Also:

Fred...
smile.gif

Yep, only NGK for this car. I personally like NGK in all my cars. Bosch Plats are not up to par.

I agree, nothing but NGK in all of my cars too. They offer the smoothest idle, and best midrange and low end throttle response of any plug I've tried.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Employee#08:

quote:

Fred, did you change plugs on your Nissan/Infiniti VQ engine at 50,000 miles?

I always try to change everything a bit earlier than factory.

My current car it was at 60,000 miles.

Fred..
blush.gif

Always good to change a little earlier then stated by manufacturer. Especially the timing belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back