What MTF should I use for 2009 Honda Civic Si?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda MTF sucks. Causes my gears to grind when it's cold. That even using their new and "improved" fluid. I drained it and put in some Amsoil MTF synchromesh 5w30. Shifts are smooth as butter now but noticed it states not to use with LSD and my Si has LSD. So I emailed Amsoil and they say they don't have any oil that they can recommend for my transmission.

Limited Slip Differential

The limited slip differential powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions, instead of just one. With an ordinary open differential, standard on most cars, a lot of precious power is wasted during wheelspin under acceleration. This happens because the open differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip (along the path of least resistance).
The lsd, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel. Power to the ground!
The lsd powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions, instead of just one. With an ordinary open differential, standard on most cars, a lot of precious power is wasted during wheelspin under acceleration. This happens because the open differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip (along the path of least resistance). The lsd, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel.
In drag-race style, straight-line acceleration runs, this results in a close to ideal 50/50 power split to both drive wheels, resulting in essentially twice the grip of an ordinary differential.
The lsd biases power to the outside wheel, reducing inside-wheel spin. This allows the driver to begin accelerating earlier, exiting the corner at a higher speed.
LSD also controls loss of traction when the front wheels are on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow or mud, providing the appropriate biased traction needed to overcome these adverse conditions. The lsd provides continuous and infinitely variable drive.
Power is transferred automatically without the use of normal friction pads or plates seen in other limited-slip designs.

Google Motorcraft XT-M5-QS. I have it in my Mazdaspeed 3 and it is the best so far!http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/product.asp?product=Full%20Synthetic%20Manual%20Transmission%20Fluid&category=Transmission%20Fluid
Hope this helps!

Originally Posted By: rainking

We know what a limited slip differential does.
wink.gif

The question was, what kind of differential is it? Clutch-type, helical, viscous, etc.?

FYI, the answer is helical.
thumbsup2.gif

Thats strange that Honda specifies the Honda MTF, but Amsoil doesn't list their synchromesh as a replacement.

The Integra Type R AND the Acura CL Type S both have limited slip differentials and Amsoil both states their Synchromesh is suitable for each one.

Maybe the Civics LSD is different?

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Google Motorcraft XT-M5-QS. I have it in my Mazdaspeed 3 and it is the best so far!http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/product.asp?product=Full%20Synthetic%20Manual%20Transmission%20Fluid&category=Transmission%20Fluid
Hope this helps!

Thanks, I'll have to look into this. Is it LSD friendly?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

We know what a limited slip differential does.
wink.gif

The question was, what kind of differential is it? Clutch-type, helical, viscous, etc.?

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

What LSD type?

He wants to know what type, not what it is.

My apologies, I misread the question. I'm not sure what type of LSD.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Thats strange that Honda specifies the Honda MTF, but Amsoil doesn't list their synchromesh as a replacement.

The Integra Type R AND the Acura CL Type S both have limited slip differentials and Amsoil both states their Synchromesh is suitable for each one.

Maybe the Civics LSD is different?

That's interesting. I'm guessing it is different.

My apologies, I misread the question. I'm not sure what type of LSD.

It's in the post of mine that you quoted:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
thumbsup2.gif

Different limited slip differentials have different needs.
The clutch /friction type is totally different than a Gleason Torsen type.

Gm syncromesh friction modified is possibly the best fluid you can put in a honda manual tranny. its discontinued,good luck finding it. pennzoil synchromesh is the exact same minus the friction modifediers.

I have used amsoil MTF, pennsoil syncrhomesh, honda mtf.

in terms of feel
pennzoil > amsoil > honda

I'm pretty sure Pennzoil Synchromesh is friction modified for manual transmission shifting.
GM had three versions of their proprietary syncromesh. A blend or dino, a full synthetic, and a special friction modified one. But I don't remember if this friction modification was better or worse for manual transmissions. It may have been for wear, not shifting.

I have an 08 Si, and it is a Torsen type LSD. I used to run Amsoil, but now have been running Redline. The Redline is great in it!

Redline>Amsoil>Honda MTF

Not sure why Amsoil isn't for use in this tranny? It was on their list back when I was ordering it?

BTW - It's a cheap, easy change since it only takes right at 1.5 qts.

The Amsoil was the Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30 and the Redline that I'm using now is the MTL 70W80 GL-4 Gear Oil.

I had much better results with both over the Honda MTF, but to me, the Redline feels like the synchros are much smoother than the Amsoil.

Interesting. I had a Redline mix of MTL/MT-90 in my Fusion (Mazda transaxle) before the Amsoil and while it shifted very well the Amsoil mix is definitely a bit smoother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back