What MERV rating and width filter do you use

[QUOTE="I It says, "merv rating and width filter"....what about that screams nukes at you? lol
[/QUOTE]
At first glance I saw the acronym MERV and my brain translated it to "MIRV"

I use a cheap one that flows a lot of air.
For my home made air filter that uses home HVAC filters I use a merv16 if I can get them. If not a 13 will do.

14x20x1, MERV 13 aka MPR 1900 Filtrete filters if I remember correctly. I buy the ones with the lowest initial restriction and Filtrete conveniently puts that on each filter.

I have an HVAC closet and it has 2x 16x24 Merv 12 filters, I change them every 60 days. Can go 90 days when it gets cooler here

20x25x5 in whatever’s cheap, replaced every six months near Austin, TX. I bought a 4-pack of NordicPure filters on Amazon, then about 4 slightly damaged 3M filters at a salvage discount retailer. Not sure on MERV rating.

What gets me is 20x25x5 does not mean 20x25x5 My Carrier has made it a very specific size, most wont fit. Like this example:

Filterbuy 20 X 25 X 5 MERV 11

Actual: 19.88x24.75x4.38"
I tried a 3m, no go. It is :
  • Actual filter size is: 19.56 x 24.13 x 4.75 Inch
It's almost like they want us to buy THEIR filter...I am shocked I tell ya, shocked!!

We had a thread on filters a while back and it ended up noting that the Filtrete MPR1900 was the best flow/filtration balance as posted by @Ws6 in this thread:
(1) HVAC Filters | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Which is a MERV 13 filter.

These are what I use.
I currently use a 5" deep adapter filter from Filterbuy. It flows extremely well. About 1/2-1/3 less backpressure vs the Filtrete. 11 merv.

Back