What MERV rating and width filter do you use

Main level = 20x20x5 (actual size more like 4inches thick) 14x14x5 both filters are always either/or a combination of Merv 8 or 11

Second level 20x20x1 and 14x14x1 same deal either/or Merv 8 or 11

The Merv I choose is normally based on best price. The brand I choose is based on price. I search online
All filters are return grill filters and both floors have two return grills
I only use 1 inch thick vs 5 inch thick on the second level because the second level doesnt get much dust and dirt in them, except for summer the second floor heat pump doesnt run much since we have gas heat on the main level for winter. First and second floor are separate units.

Last edited:
These came with my units

lennox.JPG

20x20x1 about MERV 8, but it can vary depending on where I get them. I use most brands, but AVOID 3M since I also use a UV lamp in my system. The UV rays disintegrated the 3M filter and when I talked to them about they basically said TS. Even sent them a picture.

16x25x1 in MERV 13 flavor.

Check on how dirty it is on the first of every month and usually end up changing it then as well.

Nor Cal

16x25x5 "box filter"
Merv 16 in the summer (catches smoke from an ever burning california)
Merv 13 in winter

LA house
20x25x4 Bryant EZ flex (I love this form factor)
Merv 13 year round

I use the lowest filtration paper filter. It's a 26x25x1. I do this because I want the best flow through rather than around the filter and I'm not interested in setting up a the equipment to measure the exact pressure drop.

My filters don't have a MERV rating.

I use 20x30x1" filters, MERV rating no greater than 8 and change them every 2 months. My home isn't very dusty. I could probably run them for 6 months but the cost to change them is very low so I err on the side of caution.

My size is a 20x20 and use a merv of 4 or 5....change every month...

Back