What make up oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to switch my girlfriends Jeep to t5 10w30. Only problem is they only sell it in gallons. What should/would I use for the extra 2 quarts?

Thanks,
Dylan

Buy three gallons. Use 1 1/2 for one oil change and the other 1 1/2 for the next oil change. Plus, anyone that sells the T5 can order it for you in quarts, though you would probably have to buy a full case.

You think 15w40 is too "heavy" for a newer 4.0? (I think it has ~80,000 on it.)

I know I can get quarts of the syn 10/15w40.
some trailer towing, lots of highway/55mph, and it gets ~90-95 here during the summer.

Getting multiple gallons isnt gonna happen.

Last edited:
A 15W-40 would be fine as long as it doesn't get too cold. In cold weather, the 10W-30 T5 or 5W-40 T6 would be better.

The gallons are cheaper per quart than the quarts are, making it more cost effective in the end. Plus, if you buy 3 gallons by July 9 (next Friday), you can get a $10 mail in rebate on T5, or $20 on T6.

For the future after the rebate, I'd just buy 2 gallons for the first change. Next change, you'll have 1/2 a gallon already around (also available for top-off if needed), so you only need to buy 1 gallon.

I was gonna get a gallon of the w40 t6 and 2 quarts of the same. The jeep takes 6 quarts.

Like I said, its her dads money not mine and neither one of us have alot of it. 48 bucks just for oil isnt gonna happen (3x gallon jugs)

How about 2 jugs of Pennzoil or QS or Mobil 5000 or Valvoline?

Comes in at around $25 and you'll have 4 quarts left over for the next change. Or just buy a jug of the above plus a quart and leave less than $20.

What is this Jeep and what is the OCI/use?

If you go to Advance Auto, there is a 10$ off 25 coupon around. With each gallon of T6 being $23, find a couple other cheap things you need (such as filters) to get you over the $25, and buy in 3 installments. If you get a $5 filter with each gallon, you spend $54 for 3 gallons of oil + 3 filters. Once you get the rebate back, it's only $34. That's $34 for enough oil for 2 changes, and 3 filters. Not a bad deal.

its a 96 Cherokee 4.0
~3500 OCI (I would let it go longer but her dad is a diehard 3000mi guy) uses no oil over that amount of time.
Usually a Mopar filter.

I want to use rotella cause of the higher ZDDP for the flat tappet cam...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back