What kind of spring/hose clamp pliers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, let's put it this way...

If you've got lots of room, either will do the job. But, if it's a tight fit, which would you want to try and squeeze into that space?

Most useful......depends on how much room like rshunter said. If it is out in the open then the cable ones are too much of a pain to use everyday.

Sounds like the pliers-style ones will come in handier than the cable type for my uses. I'm thinking of the heater hose clamps on my Buick, and the radiator clamps on the Fit. Both of those are out in the open.

The cable ones will work everywhere that the plier ones will, but not vice versa (o.k., edit here...you real mechanics can point out the exceptions). I had to borrow some cable ones last fall to use on an accessible clamp where the tabs were oriented so that the pliers wouldn't work.

If I were to buy only one clamp, it would be the cable ones. Just my opinion.

I've had the same question. Last time I took off the lower radiator hose on my truck, I wished I had something better than pliers. I just can't bring myself to spend $38 on them.

The Mayhew's are built better and have larger handles for comfort. They are more expensive because they are made in France with more expensive labor costs. I've used them for the flat band clamps on my Buick and there was no way I could have disconnected the heater hoses without them. When I get some extra money, I'm buying me a pair.

I suppose at over double the cost, I would have to be using those clamp pliers quite often to justify it.

Merkava, do you think the Mayhew 28640 RATCHETING style would be even better?

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I suppose at over double the cost, I would have to be using those clamp pliers quite often to justify it.

You can justify the cost by the money you're saving from doing your own auto repair work.

There's a lot of tension on those band clamps; I wouldn't
want handles any smaller than the Mayhew's.

As fas as ratcheting, I've had to open the clamps up as far as they'll
go anyway -- so the ratcheting feature wouldn't do me no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back