Use Gates PowerGrip Hose Clamps instead of OE Spring Clamps?

Gates claims that you only need to heat 40% of the clamp area
My experience with heat-shrink tubing for electrical wires/connectors is similar to that. Seems like the "melt" temperature is low enough that that temperature can transfer through all of the tubing to seal up. If it's not 100% though, no one cares. On a coolant hose, you'd definitely want 100%. On the other hand, Gates knows there will be MANY applications where you couldn't possibly get a heat gun around these with 360º coverage, so it must be okay.

As far as them vs oe spring clamps go, I tend to use them when the oe clamp is MIA and I've had great luck with them - fixing several problem fittings

Toyota parts pricing is crazy. My very high quality Nissan spring clamps are under $3.00 / each from online dealers.

Have you tried an online source - like BAM wholesale parts. They say the OEM hose clamps for my Rav4 are $5.81 each. Still double my Nissan ones, but better than 15 bucks

I would stay with spring clamps. When was the last time anyone had a problem with a quality spring clamp?

You heat 'em to tighten them.
How do you remove them? Someone said a simple tol is all you need.
How are they sized? Generically or specifically? How about width sizing?

You heat 'em to tighten them.
How do you remove them? Someone said a simple tol is all you need.
How are they sized? Generically or specifically? How about width sizing?
Gates makes a tool to cut them off without damaging the hose or you can carefully cut them without.

They do have sizes specific to hose and width is specific to clamp diameter

This, or the ABA clamps from ultimate garage, if you aren’t going OE or OE-style

The Euro worm clamps are an improvement over the USA worm clamps.

ABA/Norma/Gemi are all Norma Group brands, in Best/Better/Good segments.

If such clamps are not available from a local metric hardware outlet, there is always the Euro car dealerships, hopefully without too much of a markup.

Back