What kind of lawn weed is this ?

random patches of these have popped up in my backyard, seemingly in the last week or 2. I searched on Google but couldn’t find an exact match.

What are they and more importantly how do I get rid of them?
IMG_0228.jpeg

Yes, that's dollar weed, aka Pennywort. They're easy to control fortunately. I use products that have triclopyr in them because it's very effective and it's cheap. Normally triclopyr is found in brush killer (not non-selective vegetation killer) and I specifically use Brushtox. Here's a picture and a recommendation from my local agriculture extension at the University of Georgia:

Products containing atrazine, clopyralid, 2,4-D, metsulfuron, quinclorac, sulfentrazone, dicamba, thiencarbazone, triclopyr or a combination of these are effective against dollarweed.

dollar weed.JPG

Verify compatibility for your grass type if you need to treat large areas, but just spot treating with a broadleaf herbicide like dicamba, or 2,4-d should nuke it. Just stay away from flowers, and other desirable broadleaf landscaping.

Be careful with whatever product you decide to treat them with. I screwed up and double treated an area in my yard and my grass became very stressed and in spots died.

Reactions: 4WD
Verify compatibility for your grass type if you need to treat large areas, but just spot treating with a broadleaf herbicide like dicamba, or 2,4-d should nuke it.
Yes - and if you use Atrazine - spray right on them - over treatment can wind up getting into your more valuable plants/trees …

Thanks to everyone, I greatly appreciate the responses.

I want to buy something to treat this as quickly as possible. Is there something that I can pickup from Lowe’s or or Home Depot that is recommended?

I have been using Scott’s triple action weed and feed every 12 weeks for the last couple of years but it’s effectiveness seems to taper off after week 7-8. Should I go ahead and reapply that to the whole yard or buy something to just treat the dollar weed patches ?

Dollar weeds - get rid of them

Yes, that's dollar weed, aka Pennywort. They're easy to control fortunately. I use products that have triclopyr in them because it's very effective and it's cheap. Normally triclopyr is found in brush killer (not non-selective vegetation killer) and I specifically use Brushtox. Here's a picture and a recommendation from my local agriculture extension at the University of Georgia:

Products containing atrazine, clopyralid, 2,4-D, metsulfuron, quinclorac, sulfentrazone, dicamba, thiencarbazone, triclopyr or a combination of these are effective against dollarweed.

View attachment 159157
They are hard to get rid of.

Yes, big box hardware stores sell ready to use products. Just read the labels carefully.

The common herbicide you’ll want to stay away from is glyphosate/RoundUp. That’s non-selective and will kill grass.

Thanks to everyone, I greatly appreciate the responses.

I want to buy something to treat this as quickly as possible. Is there something that I can pickup from Lowe’s or or Home Depot that is recommended?

I have been using Scott’s triple action weed and feed every 12 weeks for the last couple of years but it’s effectiveness seems to taper off after week 7-8. Should I go ahead and reapply that to the whole yard or buy something to just treat the dollar weed patches ?

There's all kinds of names for that weed. Creeping Charlie and Dollar weed are the most popular. It spreads like wildfire. I have dealt with it for many years coming from my neighbor's neglected yard. Most weed only spray treatments will kill it off but its something that keeps coming back and requires periodic applications.

View attachment 159157
What concentration do you mix your triclopyr at?

I will not be welcome here, but you guys are absolutely nuts spraying chemical like that on your lawn.

I got very ill doing stuff like that over a 1/4 century ago before I knew better. Now all the stuff I used back then has been pulled from the market. - Ken

I will not be welcome here, but you guys are absolutely nuts spraying chemical like that on your lawn.

I got very ill doing stuff like that over a 1/4 century ago before I knew better. Now all the stuff I used back then has been pulled from the market. - Ken
That's why they were banned. There are many herbicides available which are safe to use, kill weeds but not the grass.. I just will not use roundup anymore.

Speaking of Roundup, it’s a brand name with different versions including an acetic acid ( vinegar) version. The nasty stuff has Glyphosate.

t coView attachment 159212
Don't mean to pick, but a majority of farmers in the U.S. spray this stuff in their fields. It may be nasty but the small amounts around a yard, do not compare to the large quantities farmers use. I do not believe there is an alternative weed killer.

Back