What job for a young, intelligent woman with a communications degree?

What? None of that makes sense....

Did you read and understand the OP? This is a fresh-out-of-college young woman who chose a degree that doesn't have many options, the degree doesn't support a career in which basic human functions are required to live (i.e.: industrial, medical, etc.) and chose NOT to take a job where she could start using the degree, instead kept a retail job.

Experience, effort and hard work get you advancements in positions, salary, etc., not playing games with employment laws, wondering what this state allows, what that megacorp will offer, etc.
Huh? Yes I did read the OP - $17 an hour part time - $35K a year if she was getting 40 hours a week (which I take it she would not be since it is part time) $28K if she is getting 32 hours a week, plus the kicker of making more if sponsors wanted her for ad work (I have no idea from a quantification sense what that amounts to). No sense if at part time she qualifies for benefits, 401K, etc.

My point was in places that $35K sets the bar for your next job ("well this offer is x% more than you were making previously") because your future employer knows what you were making there is something to be said about not jumping at the offer in front of you, no employment law games, employer and employee use the information in front of them to negotiate the deal that makes sense for them, or they don't come to terms.

I 100% agree, show up to learn (look at my post on page 2 of the thread). At the same time, an employee should value themselves, and recognize if they are under compensated... not always the easiest thing for a fresh college grad to do. And not all initial offers are created equal.

FWIW, I would characterize a communications degree as more marketable than a basic liberal arts degree, again, see my post on page two, anthropology and history for my wife. Foot in the door was important, being ready to move around was important, turning down the wrong job and being willing to walk away was important, in addition to building experience and putting in hard work.

I think there are 2 separate points here:

1) Her degree is not that valuable, and that's the most polite way to put it. She can insist on finding a job that use that degree but will likely never reach her goal of financial independent (pay off her student loans, start a family, buy a home, retirement), or she can just "abandon" that degree and start going toward something that makes her goal a reality (work as a trades person, work jobs that does not require the degree but can lead to high income in the future, like real estate agents, or a job that she will marry a rich guy and become a housewife, etc).

2) Regardless of where she want to go, she needs to work hard to make the dough. She can graduate from Harvard and becomes a lazy bum, or she can graduate with a useless degree or no degree and work real hard to get rich. A degree today is no guarantee of anything, nor marriage guarantee you a stable and comfortable life. She needs to work hard no matter what job she takes, maybe she needs to go through some hard time to learn it, but she needs to learn it. She is the only person who could teach that to herself. Working hard doesn't mean she will be rich, it just mean she will do well in her job. She still need to decide which direction her career should go and nobody can make that decision for her.

Self made billionaire Ray Dalio once said…….. “When you know nothing, you learn everything.”

This is 100% true for a young person entering any industry / career field.

I tell the youngins at my job what Dalio says. (y)
People right out of college have to take entry level jobs and learn as much as they can, then move on to a better job, a few years later another better job, etc….
This is America. I started out as a "boilermaker's helper," apprentice kid knowing nothing. I swept the floor every day for 2 weeks, then went and told the foreman "I quit." He laughed and wanted to know why I was quitting. I told him the truth; I said "I thought I was here to learn something. I've done nothing but sweep the floor, I was meeting more pretty girls and working outside pumping gas" He laughed again and told me to "Come in Monday if you want, and I'll have something else for you to do." This was on a Friday.
I came in Monday, and he put me with a Journeyman Boilermaker as an apprentice. I learned (on the job, being paid) how to weld, read drawings, and fabricate. Eventually, I went back to school and became a welding inspector. That was 30+ years ago. I have had a good career and I'm now the man at the top within my company. ANYONE that you wish to "step on" in your career can go to school and come back as YOUR boss. I KNOW this. I've LIVED it. Don't :poop: on people.

I know about about the theories of Evolution and The Big Bang.
Just FYI, homeschooling is legal in all 50 states, and there is a nationwide organization headquartered in Washington DC that provides free legal counsel to member homeschoolers. MOST of the time, when public school officials are trying to question or oppose homeschooling, they don't know the law and/or are abusing it. Of course, public school administrators (paid with parents tax dollars) are NOT "experts in law." https://hslda.org/ publishes a weekly paper on current court cases, I've been subscribing to this newsletter for ~25 years, I don't remember that this group of attorneys has EVER "lost" a case. Many times, on a recurring basis, they settle cases simply by educating public school administrators on the law.
When my children were of school age, we participated in a homeschooling co-op, they had (some PhD) teachers in math and science, their own sports leagues, their own Senior proms, etc. In fact, if there was a newbie kid in the group who was being a "brat," the KIDS would tell them to "quit acting like a public schooler." This was an insult to homeschoolers, just as lots of folks who know very little about homeschooling refer to it derogatorily. The way some people "look down" on homeschooling, this is EXACTLY how we feel about today's public school system. I'm truly not sure what is meant by your brief comments, but I'm willing to assume the best. If you're insulting me, please be plainspoken as I have been.

Just FYI, homeschooling is legal in all 50 states, and there is a nationwide organization headquartered in Washington DC that provides free legal counsel to member homeschoolers. MOST of the time, when public school officials are trying to question or oppose homeschooling, they don't know the law and/or are abusing it. Of course, public school administrators (paid with parents tax dollars) are NOT "experts in law." https://hslda.org/ publishes a weekly paper on current court cases, I've been subscribing to this newsletter for ~25 years, I don't remember that this group of attorneys has EVER "lost" a case. Many times, on a recurring basis, they settle cases simply by educating public school administrators on the law.
When my children were of school age, we participated in a homeschooling co-op, they had (some PhD) teachers in math and science, their own sports leagues, their own Senior proms, etc. In fact, if there was a newbie kid in the group who was being a "brat," the KIDS would tell them to "quit acting like a public schooler." This was an insult to homeschoolers, just as lots of folks who know very little about homeschooling refer to it derogatorily. The way some people "look down" on homeschooling, this is EXACTLY how we feel about today's public school system. I'm truly not sure what is meant by your brief comments, but I'm willing to assume the best. If you're insulting me, please be plainspoken as I have been.
I would be more supportive of homeschooling were it not so associated with with the Bible Belt Christian Evangelicals. I agree that the gender insanity and wokeism that is getting so much airplay these days is an issue, but far more concerned about Evolution Denial, rejection of the fossil record and a general anti science vibe. Also concerning is the level of preparation of "teachers" in homeschool settings. Take a look at the AP Biology, or Chemistry or Physics course material. Then take a look at the original post, where we have the problem of young graduate in communications struggling with job placement. Then, along comes a post suggesting that this person's solution is to get married, stay home, have children and become a homeschooler. Even if that were not simply a retrograde suggestion, it is at minimum a non-solution to the question on the table. Call me crazy, but a person with a single degree in a modern social science may not have the preparation to enter a classroom of sorts.

This is America. I started out as a "boilermaker's helper," apprentice kid knowing nothing. I swept the floor every day for 2 weeks, then went and told the foreman "I quit." He laughed and wanted to know why I was quitting. I told him the truth; I said "I thought I was here to learn something. I've done nothing but sweep the floor, I was meeting more pretty girls and working outside pumping gas" He laughed again and told me to "Come in Monday if you want, and I'll have something else for you to do." This was on a Friday.
I came in Monday, and he put me with a Journeyman Boilermaker as an apprentice. I learned (on the job, being paid) how to weld, read drawings, and fabricate. Eventually, I went back to school and became a welding inspector. That was 30+ years ago. I have had a good career and I'm now the man at the top within my company. ANYONE that you wish to "step on" in your career can go to school and come back as YOUR boss. I KNOW this. I've LIVED it. Don't :poop: on people.

I agree.

Breweries need individuals with all sorts of different backgrounds.

IMG_4299.jpeg

A wise man once told me... College does not teach you how to do a job, it teaches you how to LEARN to do a job. Having a college degree does not entitle a person to bypass this process.

A four year degree demonstrates a person can finish a long term goal. Sometimes college is not always about what one learns, but shows one has the fortitude to accomplish a long term program.

Wow, rough crowd.

Communications has a lot more opportunity than people give it credit for. I would start applying to jobs in the tech field. Communication is extremely important, and isn't just limited to radio and TV, which are antiquated and going away. I mean who listens to the radio in 2023 or watches TV? Youtube, podcasts, the internet, and streaming services are the new standard.

Communications can be applied to marketing, sales, technology, digital media, etc. If she is good with social media, many companies are looking for someone who can manage the platforms for their company. Heck, a school district a few towns over just hired a communications person to manage their district's media, and the university I work for has an entire department dedicated to communications, I meet with the director regularly. The key is getting her foot in the door somewhere (like a radio station, TV, or even an administrative/secretarial role managing the media for an organization.

Degrees are proof that you can study and apply concepts, but work experience and work ethic is where it really counts. I'm an IT manager, and my degree is certainly not in computer science or anything even related to technology. That is the case for many of my coworkers and employees as well.

Reactions: GON
I'm not so sure about those "old-school" characteristics or pipe dreams many used to speak of about a 4-year degree.

There's plenty of people who have 4-year degrees who have no desire to accomplish much anymore. They "went through college" and got a degree because mommy and daddy were footing the $25K+ annual bills, including providing an extremely nice vehicle, maintenance, fuel, insurance, along with nearly unlimited funds to sustain a lifestyle that many can't afford outside of college with their own, real job.

I will say this- I am blown away by how many 19-24 year old girls that are out there today that are doing NOTHING. Many do not have a job, aren't going through a higher education program, many are just "hanging out". My daughter seems to have attracted a group of these or has found herself surrounded by many of these and I have given her strict orders to rid herself of these people. They aren't who she wants to be. These people have no ambition, no guidance and no future.

These girls aren't living at home, they are living in renter houses or apartments, their parents paying the bills! And these are not kids from "wealthy" households, I'm talking their parents live in a 3 or 4 bedroom home worth less than $400k, and do not live/work in a major metro area (meaning the available household income isn't off the chart).

I'm not so sure about those "old-school" characteristics or pipe dreams many used to speak of about a 4-year degree.
There's plenty of people who have 4-year degrees who have no desire to accomplish much anymore. They "went through college" and got a degree because mommy and daddy were footing the $25K+ annual bills, including providing an extremely nice vehicle, maintenance, fuel, insurance, along with nearly unlimited funds to sustain a lifestyle that many can't afford outside of college with their own, real job.
I will say this- I am blown away by how many 19-24 year old girls that are out there today that are doing NOTHING. Many do not have a job, aren't going through a higher education program, many are just "hanging out". My daughter seems to have attracted a group of these or has found herself surrounded by many of these and I have given her strict orders to rid herself of these people. They aren't who she wants to be. These people have no ambition, no guidance and no future.
These girls aren't living at home, they are living in renter houses or apartments, their parents paying the bills! And these are not kids from "wealthy" households, I'm talking their parents live in a 3 or 4 bedroom home worth less than $400k, and do not live/work in a major metro area (meaning the available household income isn't off the chart).
What makes you think that this is limited to girls? I know many boys who fall into this category. Some of them don't want to do ANYTHING, including getting a driver's license.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more, assuming that's a decent rate. Not only that, it's much better to look for a job when you have a job. That way, you're already in a company that may have other opportunities from time to time and you keep the roof over your head while you look for a better one. You can afford to pick and choose.

I wish her good luck.

Formerly those would be called women looking for a MRS Degree.

Now days they seem to overestimate their value and stay single on the merry go round of failure.

Back