what is this ford special coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
im changing the hoses and rad fluid in my stepfathers f150 today as preventitive maintence. it is a 95 crew cab and has the triton 5.4? L v8 in it. on a sticker in the engine compartment, it says to only use ford special coolant (although it does not say what kind of coolant). it says nothing about dexcool or proplene or even ethelene for that matter.

and the original coolant is green and has that oh so lovely ethelene glycol smell.

i just want to mention what a piece of crap this truck is to work on. ford in their infinite wisdom has extra hose spliced off the lower radiator hose going to the coolant recovery tank, and 2 other hoses also spliced off the lower rad hose going to the oil filter. what sick freak invented this hose system? i can understand they want the oil by the oil filter to get cooled by water, so why couldnt they of designed a water channel from the block to the filter?
also, sparkplugs are a nightmare to change, you gotta remove the throttle body and the fuel rails just to change plugs!

whoever said working on american engines was easy must have been living in the 60's when this was true, because todays modern cars and trucks, imports are definitly easier to wrench on with the exception of vw. their worse than ford!

I'm not familar with the 98 F150, but I'd be very careful with this one. Ford has basically 3 different (& somewhat confusing) coolant specifications. They are NOT made to be mix and matched. A call to a local dealer may be your best approach if the owners manual doesn't identify the coolant Spec number.

First, there is the "Premium" coolant, basically their conventional green (Prestone-like) coolant meeting Ford Spec ESE-M97B44-A.

Then there is a "Specialty Orange Coolant", some sort of ethylene glycol based, extended life coolant meeting WSS-M97B44-D specs.

Lastly, there is a newer "Premium Gold Engine Coolant", which is a yellow-colored, extended-life coolant meeting Spec WSS-M97B51-A1. This one is probably like Xerex G05 coolant, if not actually the G05 stuff sold under the Motorcraft name. Xerex will tell you this one is backward compatible with conventional green coolant applications, but Ford has not agreed with that idea yet.

Remember, I said "confusing"
smile.gif

Yes, Fords can be a POS to work on, but your coolant lines going to the oil filter are probably for the oil cooler. That's a good thing if you have a towing package on the truck.

Good luck.

[ April 20, 2004, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Roger ]

quote:

i can understand they want the oil by the oil filter to get cooled by water, so why couldnt they of designed a water channel from the block to the filter?

VW uses the same design, it allows the oil to warm faster and cool faster too

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:

Yes, Fords can be a POS to work on, but your coolant lines going to the oil filter are probably for the oil cooler. That's a good thing if you have a towing package on the truck.

Good luck.

I think you meant this. The lines are probably oil lines, not coolant lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back