What is the last word on moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New guy here. I read every post on grease and the conclusion I came up with was:
10,000 posts say its good
10,000 posts say its bad
I'm looking to stock up on ONE type of grease for EVERYTHING I have that needs grease:
Ford truck-says moly O.K.
Chevy truck-says LC NLGI 2
Tons of lawn/garden equipment and tractors none which specify moly (at least the ones I have manuals for) just LC2.
I was thinking of buying Schaffer's 274 for use in everything including wheel bearings, splined shafts, and u-joints. I'm thinking 274 because these N. Michigan winters get real cold sometimes and I like ice racing. If this is a good choice, whom do I buy the grease from?
I have easy access to Mystik JT-6 High Temp but I'm worried about using it in the vehicle that calls for moly since it has none. Is it O.K. to use no moly where moly is called for?

You can use non moly where moly may be called for. Alot of guys speak highly of the jt-6, though I disagree. The 274 blend is an excellent choice. Go to www.schaefferoil.com and click on dealer locatoer to try and find a retailer near you. If you can not find one contact me and i will try and get you some.

Moly best for "plain" bearings and sliding stuff like suspension ball joints.

NON moly best for "roller" bearings Tho a low moly 3% or less IMHO is also OK for roller bearings.

Look for a low wash out grease 40lb timken load pass.
bruce

I agree with bruce 381...with several additions: "Low moly 3% or less IMHO is also okay for roller bearings," he states, BUT Non-moly is best for this particular application.
An excellent LC such as Mystik Hi-Temp JT-6 #2 or Chevron Delo LC #2...both are excellent for truck/auto wheel bearings. If I had a boat trailer, I'd use alumnium base grease, such as one of the excellent Schaeffer's products.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but this is doing my head in. Ive had a rear u joint let go in my toyota pickup. Doing a survey of local pros including dealers they say they use one type of grease despite toyota by the book saying go moly #2 lithium for some and then non moly #2 lithium for others.

I just dont know what to use anymore. Id prefer to only use on gun but I dont want hassles in service.

Is it ok to use non moly lithium complex #2 on everything - prop splines, cardan joint, steering links, universal joints etcetc? Are we talkinh 00001% practical difference or a real difference in service life?

If its ok can someone please recommend a good lc non moly #2 grease best suited for dusty / water crossings / 4wd use thanks.

On Toyota trucks, I don't see a problem using non-moly grease on the chassis. I frequently see Toyota trucks with 200,000 miles on factory U-joints, ball joints, the sliding splines on the rear driveshaft, and idler arms. Usually the tie-rod ends have reached the end of their life, however.

I see this on people who simply take their trucks to whaever oil change place is having a low price special that day. They end up with a mix of Kendall, Valvoline, Mystik, and generic stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back