What is so special about Rotella T5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigbird_1
Originally Posted By: Garak
The T-5 here is substantially more money than the T-6.

Don't know where you're shopping, but at Canadian Tire T5 is $19.95/4L and T6 is $29.95/4L.

He he, our Canadian Tires and Partsource stores are the opposite. The discrepancy isn't quite that bad, though.

I believe the T6 is $29.95 and the T5 is somewhere around $35. I wish T5 was $19.95 here.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Wow. I can get T6 for $20/gallon at WalMart, or $23 at an auto parts store here.
I bet your oil change with T6 could double!! that is why they call it a Heavy Duty Engine Oil and it is considered a syn which is an extra!!!

Today with oils synthetic is thrown about with reckless abandon .

Just because a company states an oil is SYN is no guaranty of quality .
YMMV

would the T5 10w30 be a good choice for my Supercharged 3.3l Nissan Xterra 4x4 auto trans? It is a daily driver with a one way commute of ~12 miles mix of city/freeway. Vehicle does some occasional 3000# towing, and some beach driving. We live in the PNW where the winters can get a 2 week stretch of temperatures in the teens, but usually in the 30's for the colder months. I believe the manual recommends API SL 5w30 year round, but 10w40 can also be used as a recommendation

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
would the T5 10w30 be a good choice for my Supercharged 3.3l Nissan Xterra 4x4 auto trans? It is a daily driver with a one way commute of ~12 miles mix of city/freeway. Vehicle does some occasional 3000# towing, and some beach driving. We live in the PNW where the winters can get a 2 week stretch of temperatures in the teens, but usually in the 30's for the colder months. I believe the manual recommends API SL 5w30 year round, but 10w40 can also be used as a recommendation

I think T5 would be a great option if you want an HDEO in a 30 weight... After I put in new valve lifters I'm going to switch back to T5. I had a noisy lifter and switching to 15w-40 quieted it down.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Really? T5 is more than T6 in Canada? Weird.

The T-5 prices quoted are most likely for 0w-40 or 0w-30, that is the most common T-5 up here. I went to the local UFA yesterday and the price difference between T-5 10w-30 and T-5 0w-40/30 was close to $10 more for the 0w-40 and 0w-30. Do not quote me on this...but I have a feeling that the T-5 0w's have PAO basestocks. I say this for 2 reasons, first the price difference and second the specs of these 0w's are better looking than Esso XD3 of the same 0w flavor.

The Shell Rotella T5 10w30 is $11.50/gallon at the Super Walmart in west austin, tx off 620 by four points blvd.

I still think the Amsoil ACD 10w30 is a premium 10w30 product, but you cant beat the T5 for 11.50/gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back