What is best oil to stop oil use and engine noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, 3.3l V6 in 97 Dodge Caravan. Started using some oil, about 1q, every 3k, at about 70k miles. Hard miles, similar to taxi cab. Has some leaks and smudges, but no puddles on the floor. Passes inspection.

I tried M1 5w30 EP -- oil use was the same and a faint rattle at idle (local mech thinks the rattle is timing chain) was worse with the M1.

So, I decided a thicker oil was the ticket. Tried Castrol syntec 10w40. No oil use so far over 2500 miles. But, the engine seems slugish until its good and HOT, and the fuel economy has taken a hit. Rattle at idle didn't change at all.

So I am thinking, probably some seals, perhaps the valve seals, leaking internally causeing the oil consumption. So the thicker 10w40 helped.

But I'd like to get back the mileage and performance.

What "high mileage" 10w30 oil, synth preferred, are we likeing these days? Something leaning towads the "thick side" and that will swell my seals. 5k OCI, and please don't tell me to do a UOA. Given the aforementioned scenario, of course.

Thanks......

I would recommend Valvoline MaxLife 10W-40, but I'm heavily biased in favor of MaxLife so you might want to take that into consideration too.
grin.gif

If it's running a bit rough there are a few things you might want to do IMO. First, try ARX. It will clean the engine, give you better compression which in turn will lead to more pep. Your engine will be cleaner, it'll run smoother and quieter and I wouldn't be surprised if you see a reduction in oil consumption afterwards.

I was a big skeptic of ARX until I finally tried it. I thought it was too expensive and that it couldn't do all the things people on this board said it could do. Well, it can and it does. I have used it on several vehicles now with very good results. It's good stuff, it's worth the price. I wish it was less expensive, but the results that you get make it worth what it costs.

In addition to the ARX, take your vehicle to a mechanic that you trust-if you can find one-and have them check your O2 sensors, wires, plugs, PCV valve, fuel filter and air filter.

Run some Gumout Regane or Techron or both for two or three successive tanks of gas, B12 Chemtool too. You will for sure see some improvement in the way the engine runs.

If you do all of the above YOU WILL get results and a smoother running engine. Then experiment with different oils to see which one your machine likes.

All of the other stuff will make more of a difference than which oil you use right now. Get the engine running like new again first. The rattle at idle and sluggishness aren't because of which oil you're using IMO.

I used to get some valve noise at startup with redline 5W30 till i switched to amsoil series 3k and now its all good.

If you want higher fuel economy while using a heavier oil ..go synthetic. They will start thinner and thin quicker.

Do an Auto-Rx treatment, as was suggested by stogie, it may clean some stuck stuff and allow you to return to lighter weights.

I used Castrol GTX 10w30 in a Chevy V8 with 88k on it.Used a qt every 1200 miles.Went to Castrol Syntex and it used a qt every 1800 miles.Went to Amsoil 10w30 full syn and it used a qt every 3300 miles! Stayed the same until I sold the car with over 250k on it and running great.Changed the Amsoil every 25k and the others every 3k.Big DIFFERANCE in cost and oil usage etc.

I would also use Valvoline Max Life. I used it in an old Honda when the oil first became available, and it ended the oil consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back