What is a "short trip"?

Its 2 miles to Aldi,and the walmart is across the street,,,is that short enough,,,that said, its a great day to ride bicycles...no warm up except my ankles,knees, shoulders, and fingers,,,thats it..

Had a 98 Civic that defined severe service as trips under 5 miles, or trips under 10 miles if it was below freezing.
I agree the answer depends heavily on ambient temperatures and the type of vehicle we're talking about.
Also, occasional short trips will not hurt anything -- the concern arises when short trips are a regular part of the driving routine. My buddy recently had to replace his cat which was extremely expensive because it's a single piece with the exhaust manifold (2002 Rav4). He drives 3 miles to work, three miles home, 1 mile to the grocery store, 1 mile to his friend's house... and hardly anywhere else. I warned him about the short tripping but he refused to take it out on the highway a couple times a month. I'm not sure that would have helped him anyway, his routine is pretty severe with the engine in open loop about half of the total mileage.

Last two times I've gone out it's been 33F and 40F. Truck sat all day. Went to the store which was 2 miles one way. 4-mile round trip. Engine just barely reached operating temperature. Winter is coming and so is fuel dilution. Have no fear, HPL's superior VII is here.

The last 10 or so trips have been under 5 miles in the hybrid. The electric miles average 1.7 to 2.2 So in essence I only drive 3 miles and still no gas smell in the oil at 5K into OCI. Going on a 50 mile trip today so it will get warmed up.

Back