What is a Quick field test used

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used the blotter spot test,take a business card and put a drop of oil from your car on the back,oil should be from a warm engine,oil with good dispersancy left will spread evenly with very little or very light ring formation, as the ring becomes more defined, the dispernsancy is starting to fail, when the oil forms a drop of thick oil in the center the dispersancy has failed and is sludged. Also an oxidized oil will spead over the top of water instead of forming a drop. I did the blotter test on the an 81 chevy pickup that was parked in the barn over a year ago,that had a head gasket leak and the oil formed a sludge spot in the center that would not absorb into the card even after four hours, I'm thinking of trying neutra in the truck as an experiment.I have several PDF's on blotter test's that I can send out if anyone's interested.

RB, awsome answer.. would like to have that info available if possible...

Here is the actual answer given and I think rb did an excellent job on this one..

ANSWER GIVEN> Oil spot (or patch) test. A crude test where oil is filtered through a patch. If particles are concentrated in the center of the patch, it indicates that water or anti-freeze may be impairing dispersancy.

Gee Thanks
smile.gif
I sent the zip file to your schaeffers address.I hope to try this on an engine in the near future side by side with oil analysis to compare the results,I would really like to see this done with one of toyota's sludge monsters.

I know I am dragging up an old post, but since the blotter test is so simple and seemingly could be used as an indicator of when to change the oil, I am suprised it is not discussed more around this site. I started doing the blotter test a few months ago and discovered the dark ring forming pretty early on with my pickup. This engine already had a sludged oil pickup screen about 40,000 miles ago. The ring was bad enough that I changed the oil at 1800 miles. In contrast, my wife's van is at 2000 miles on it's oil and not showing much of a ring.

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:
Is the truck a Toyota per chance?

It's a '95 F150 with a 300 cid (4.9L) straight six. I bought it at 58,000 miles. Evidence points to previous owner having used it for heavy towing. Besides the half sludged oil pickup around 60,000 miles, at 100,000 I started it up and had no oil pressure. Filter was good (Motorcraft and anti drain back was fine), but I reamed out the passage from there to the oil pump with weed whip cord, screwed a new filter on, and fired it up. Pressure came up right away. Ran a quart of NAPA Mac's Engine Flush through for 5 minutes and changed oil. Got a gauge now and no oil pressure problems since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back