What I like about Microsoft SkyDrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question was asked in a different thread what I liked about Microsoft SkyDrive. So we don't take that other one too far off topic, I'll post it here.

I like that it, like Google's Drive, allows you to manually upload documents and quite literally use it as a virtual "hard drive". Apple's iCloud service will keep documents you have synchronized, but you have to use an iCloud-enabled software and you have to use that software to "upload" the file. You can't simply drag and drop a JPG or PDF to iCloud to read it at home for example.

I also like how integrated SkyDrive is with Office. I have Office 2010 on a Compaq laptop at home and as I recall, you can open from and save directly to SkyDrive. Office 2007 may have had this functionality as well.

There is also the interesting thought of Microsoft integrating SkyDrive somehow with Office360, but I don't know much about that product.

You can publicly share documents if needed as well. For large file transfers, this is the cat's pajamas.

Thanks. I think this could be very useful. It will also give me some diversification using this and Drive.

Do you guys know if it's possible to upload non-Office files such as PDF files? The SkyDrive app only seems to allow Microsoft files. Thanks.

If using Libre Office and a document is saved in a MS .doc or .docx format, will those be also save-able to the Sky Drive just like a 'normal' Office document/file?

EDIT: .odt files work - just opened an account and tested.
smile.gif

Thanks for this topic ! I am gonna play around some more...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Do you guys know if it's possible to upload non-Office files such as PDF files? The SkyDrive app only seems to allow Microsoft files. Thanks.

just uploaded pdf created with Libre Office (ODT to PDF) and it uploaded just fine ...

hmmm but if I do the desktop app and sync, my PC will equal what's on the Sky Drive? That means if my sky drive is empty and I sync with PC, i will lose everything ???
I don't get this...why can't all of them be at both places??

Yep it does. I figured it out. It works pretty much like Dropbox but I am still trying to get use to the Windows 8 file system. Once I figured it out, I was able to load pretty much any type of document.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
hmmm but if I do the desktop app and sync, my PC will equal what's on the Sky Drive? That means if my sky drive is empty and I sync with PC, i will lose everything ???
I don't get this...why can't all of them be at both places??

In my limited experience with it, the SkyDrive app works just like the Google Drive app. You have a "special" folder on your computer that is the SkyDrive folder, and any files on your SkyDrive should appear in that folder, and anything you create new in that folder would then also appear on SkyDrive.

Yeah so far I like it. I just installed the Android app too so I've got the documents synced to my phone. Thanks for the tip on SkyDrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back