What grease for trailer bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the general consensus nowadays for a OTC grease I can get at the local parts house? The trailer is a small RV...tandem axle, total weight of around 5k pounds...it could see several thousands of miles per year (if I ever get out of this office...)...obviously the axles are brake axles.

I've used PZ 707L and Valvoline GP (general purpose, their red grease) before with what seem to be OK results...is there something generally accepted as *better*?

Is the Valvoline with moly something I should consider?

lithium complex grease, as opposed to less expensive general purpose lithium wheel bearing grease.

i had bought a couple tubes not to long ago to grease axle bearings on a rented uhaul trailer that was going cross country. good thing too, there was no preload and about 1-2" of wobble. Just as important if not more important than the type of grease is getting a slight preload on the wheel bearing. Not enough preload or too much and the type of grease will be irrelevant.

I think... and you can probably infer from the labels when you shop... the general lithium grease for wheel bearings will say not for disc brakes, which is because of heat tolerance. The lithium complex can handle the heat and it will state suitable or recommended for disc brakes/wheel bearings. The trailer didn't have brakes, but I still bought lithium complex which was Ford/Mercon labelled. the price was fair and the color was pretty.

Since nobody said to stop using 707L, and it meets the requirements...guess I will keep using it.

And on the wheel bearing note, I noticed these bearings have a lot of play...I only recently got this trailer so I guess I will find out how bad things are...

Thanks for the replies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back