What fluid for a 96 Integra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to help my brother change his coolant in his 96 Acura Integra and was wondering what type of fluid I would need. Would it be a good idea to to drain teh block as well as the radiator in order not to mix old and new coolants(I have no idea what he has in there right now)?

Use honda coolant only.

Get 6 or so gallons of distilled water and use it to flush the system before you add the coolant.

Will running only the distilled water through the engine damage the water pump? I plane on draining the block as well as the radiator and overflow tank. I'm guessing the distilled water is there for flushing out the heater core.

Use the Honda coolant, you'll avoid lots of problems.

I have had good luck by draing the system using only the lower radiator hose, and then flushing the system by filling with water and driving with the heat on...until the engine comes up to temperature.

Then let the engine cool for a couple of hours before repeating the same method a few more times with distilled water to completely flush the system.

After the 4rd drain, I fill with coolant only, since the system still has a fair amount of distilled water. I mix to a 50%/50% mix by checking with a hygrometer.

This radiator has a nice plug on the back to drain the coolant, so I won't have to deal with the hose. SO you're saying just fill the radiator with water, have it mix with teh coolant/water mixture in the block/heater core, then drain again, and evetually I will have diluted/removed enough of the old fluid to be irrelavant?

quote:

Originally posted by 00 scrub:
This radiator has a nice plug on the back to drain the coolant, so I won't have to deal with the hose. SO you're saying just fill the radiator with water, have it mix with teh coolant/water mixture in the block/heater core, then drain again, and evetually I will have diluted/removed enough of the old fluid to be irrelavant?

Yes, but you have drive 10 minutesto let the engine heat up to normal temperatures with the heater temperature set on high...and then let it cool for hours so that all components are cool.

I like the lower hose since it usually drains the block and radiator fairly well. The radiator drain may let you do the same thing, especially if the back of the car is a little higher than the front.

The Honda radiators have a drain that will probably open and drain but the radiator has lots of plastic parts so be gentle.

You should do this 5 or 6 times. But if the fluid in there already looks really bad you may need to run a flush through the engione per the instructions on the bottle...and then flush with water 6 times.

Takes a long time to do all this, and you have a lot of hazardous Ethylene Glycol contaminated water to dispose of. If kids or animals drink any of it it can kill them... and it can't go into the ground or drains.

That's why the idea of letting a professional use a flushing machine is attractive.

But many lube places use the machines to just put in filtered old lube with some additives....that sounds like a terrible way to care for the cooling system.

A good Honda/ Acura dealership ... or a good Honda/ Acura independent garage may be worht searching for.

In any case, use the Honda Coolant and distilled water.

Well it seems that I might not have to do this after all. My brother had a small accident a month ago and apparently they had to replace his radiator. I'm guessing that when replacing the radiator they had to flush the cooling system so meh, I geuss I'll get to doing this on his cr in 30k miles.

Yeah, you know, I'm not convinced that all Honda fluids are really worth it. I posted on this a few weeks ago. I can easily see that the transmission and steering fluids are necessary, but coolant and brake fluid? Come on! I think that the only real issue with the coolant is making sure you have a low/no-silicate coolant. I've switched my wifes '99 Civic to Peak Global and don't anticipate any issues.

I similarly won't use Honda coolant in my Hondas...it simply costs too much. I use Zerex Extreme Life, which is silicate, phosphate and borate free, which happens to be what Honda specifies for their coolant.

As far as mixing with the old coolant, I'll usually drain the system as much as I can, then fill with distilled water, run to temp, cool drain again and then fill with a 50/50 mix.

Bogatyr

quote:

Originally posted by Bogatyr:
I similarly won't use Honda coolant in my Hondas...it simply costs too much. I use Zerex Extreme Life, which is silicate, phosphate and borate free, which happens to be what Honda specifies for their coolant.

As far as mixing with the old coolant, I'll usually drain the system as much as I can, then fill with distilled water, run to temp, cool drain again and then fill with a 50/50 mix.

Bogatyr

I was just comparing the [valvoline] Zerex Extreme Life to Shell ELC. Both are silicate, phosphate and borate free. I believe the Zerex is a clearish color while the Shell ELC is red.

Now, which one is more readily availible? I am having trouble finding either of these coolants in my local stores. I wonder if the price is worth it over Honda premixed; I have really no idea how much any of these costs because I have not seen Zerex extreme life or the Shell ELC in any stores. Do any other companies make a silicate and phosphate free coolant?

ChrisW,
The Zerex is orange. I paid about $9 a gallon at the local Napa...prolly cheaper at Wally world.

When I bought it, I got an earful from the parts guy about how you couldn't mix the orange and green because the orange stuff wasn't ethylene glycol...so I had to show him the back of the container where it said one of the ingredients was ethylene glycol. Where do these rumors start?
dunno.gif

I'm not sure if Prestone makes a suitable coolant for Hondas. I did my research a while back and only found the Zerex to be suitable.

Bogatyr

On a similar note, has anyone used Zerex G-05 in their Honda/Acuras? I'm due for a coolant change soon and am thinking about using it.

quote:

Originally posted by timmy8151:
On a similar note, has anyone used Zerex G-05 in their Honda/Acuras? I'm due for a coolant change soon and am thinking about using it.

from what i understand, the G-05 is a "low" silicate formula. While not silicate free, it should be better than regular prestone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back