What Do I Need To Start Wrenching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After years of not having a space to do things, I finally have access to a garage. I'm a relative noob when it comes to wrenching on my car. I mean, I can do the basics oil change, tire rotation, etc...the basics. Probably the most I've done myself was changing the plugs and also taking off several pieces of my interior (glove box included) to change a cabin air filter (stupid Fusion). I've generally just borrowed tools for these jobs.

Now that I have some space, I would like to do things myself. Brakes? Suspension (can I do this without a lift?), trans drain and fill, and other maintenance. I just wanted to ask folks on here, what are some essentials that I need to get started? I need tools (how big of a set to buy?), jack stands, all that kind of stuff. I just don't know where to start.

I guess I am getting sick of paying to watch people do work on my car that feel I could easily do, but don't have the tools. Plus, it something that interests me. I had this same feeling when I was a teenager and went to Best Buy to fix my computer only to realize that it literally took them 3 minutes to replace the RAM into my computer and charge me 120 bucks. Now that I am in IT I mod/upgrade all my machines myself. Why can't I do the same thing, with my car?

Any advice is appreciated! Am I in over my head? I have a newer car (2017 Fusion) and it's my only car so I can't screw it up.

Basically you'll want, at the very least, a set of 1/4", 3/8" metric sockets and appropriate ratchets. Both shallow and deep-welled. And basically just keeping buying tools as jobs present themselves. If you want to do any suspension work, even just changing struts, you'll probably best get into impact sockets and buy an impact gun. A set of pry bars. A 1/2" torque wrench is a must for reinstalling/retorquing lug nuts. 3/8 and 1/2" breaker bars are cheap.

How much do you want to spend? Certainly you could probably find a list of basic hand tools given to students starting in the profession, and go replicate such at Harbor Freight for a few thousand bucks. Or you could spend $10k+ and basically get an entire rolling toolbox basically fully equipped. Or $20k-$25k for the same from one of the big brand-name "tool truck" sort of vendors. That's probably not necessary, at least at your phase. Although if you can find something like that used, and heavily discounted.... Maybe an Estate sale or a cash strapped retiree?

I have a craftsman mechanics tool set that I love. I think I paid like $75 for it on sale but I would expect around $100 for the set. Came with a bunch of sockets, wrenches, 3 ratchets, Allen keys, etc.
I would look into buying cheap torque wrenches at harbor freight. I recommend buying 1/2" and 3/8" to have a good range of torque.
Not necessary but nice to have a little compressor and impact wrench, expect to pay around $200 total for both if you want something decent. I have the harbor freight 8 gal compressor and earthquake impact and can not recommend it more. Buy hi flo couplers or it won't work well. Good for airing up tires also if you buy the accessory kit for like $10. Get good air hose, not the crap coiled up slinky yellow. I think I have a cheap 3/8" one I got at Walmart that's bright orange and was approx $15.

Last edited:
I don't want to spend more than 500-1000 to start. Maybe getting a basic decent starter set of tools and piece meal the rest as I need them. Any recommendations?

Originally Posted by pda1122
I have a craftsman mechanics tool set that I love. I think I paid like $75 for it on sale but I would expect around $100 for the set. Came with a bunch of sockets, wrenches, 3 ratchets, Allen keys, etc.
I would look into buying cheap torque wrenches at harbor freight. I recommend buying 1/2" and 3/8" to have a good range of torque.
Not necessary but nice to have a little compressor and impact wrench, expect to pay around $200 total for both if you want something decent. I have the harbor freight 8 gal compressor and earthquake impact and can not recommend it more. Buy hi flo couplers or it won't work well. Good for airing up tires also if you buy the accessory kit for like $10. Get good air hose, not the crap coiled up slinky yellow. I think I have a cheap 3/8" one I got at Walmart that's bright orange and was approx $15.

Good post. Sums things up very well.
thumbsup2.gif

Hit yard sales, estate sales, and flea markets for some tools deals.

Know what stuff is worth so you don't pay too much.

There's got to a be a YouTube video to do just about any car repair anymore.

Suspension work and trans servicing is much easier with some sort of lift. Watch Craigslist for a good used one. Don't forget some sort of code reader,preferably one with scanner capabilities so that you can rear coolant temps and such.

You can get all you need for a couple hundred at Harbor Freight. Jack, jack stands, sockets, ratchets, and box wrenches. And some socket extensions and pliers. You don't need torque wrench or an air compressor when starting out. A cheap tire inflator will suffice.

Don't forget the u-joints and extensions of various sizes. The first time you have to get to a bolt in a difficult area, you'll thank yourself.

If you're involved with newer cars and don't yet own a code reader, get one which does ABS and SRS (as well as others) codes. The basic $20 -$40 ones only pull common emissions codes.
Some may be more advanced but take the jump to $100-$200 for live data and other stuff.
Do your brakes and tear into a few doors and see if you like it. Those two jobs don't take a lot of tools.
Sooner or later you'll have a car which requires intake or bumper disassembly to change a headlight.
Go to a Sears and get their famous "floor jack with two jack stands in one box" kit. It's better to raise a car high and put it on stands than to settling for those low Rhino Ramps.
An open sided, spouted oil catch pan NOT the one with the weird "side-surface with a drain like a bath tub" which splashes.
Get a packing blanket to spread out under cars to catch the inevitable splatters both small and large.
A good screwdriver set will be on your shopping list soon enough. You'll need biggies and slender ones too.
A set of TORX bits? ...or Etorx bits? ...hex or Allen wrenches.
A pick set for hooking wires? HINT: Disassemble old wiper blades and take the slender stainless steel bands for a variety of uses.
LED flashlights are good now-a-days and don't burn you.
Got an electric meter? The cheap one they give out at Harbor Freight will serve you.
Got a wire wheel / grinder either bench or hand held?
Keep a few scraps of Wet 'n Dry sandpaper or crocus cloth or anything else to help remove corrosion. Get a tube of dielectric grease and use some with every bulb you change.

Propane torch...,Eye protection....ear plugs if you get under a car as dirt in your ears isn't good....good black nitrile gloves 'cause carcinogens are not your friend....

I third pitzel's post.

The best way to buy tools is right before you need them. Fortunately, between youtube and vehicle specific forums and factory service manuals (FSM), you can have a pretty good idea what you need before any job. As DIY'ers we (usually) have the luxury of researching things before we do them. A pro mechanic just pulls up the pro guide or electronic FSM if it's an unfamiliar job, and gets right to it.

After wrenches, ratchets and sockets, the next things you're going to need are ratchet drive Hex and Torx bits. My advice is to get a good/cheap Taiwan made set of each, and then replace anything one that wears out with an expensive brand. VIM makes the bits for the truck brands, so they are worth the extra to get that brand.

I would hold off on new SAE set investments unless you have an older vehicle. You can pick up good SAE tools cheap at flea markets and yard sales. If there are a few legacy parts (4WD on Jeeps, lug nuts) that are SAE, you may be better off just buying that one socket, then a whole set.

Jack stands should be bought with the jack. Always use them together. Figure out what you'll need an buy at least 1 more ton of jack capacity. Get a quality jack that will lift more than 14", 19" is good, more is better.

Besides jack stands, I always work with a minimum 16x16x16 or larger wood block right beside me. Have a chainsaw owning friend or treecutter make one for you from a stump. That way if jack stands fail, there's a fallback.

Leo99 is right about socket extensions, you'll need some right away. I would put a higher priority on getting a torque wrench sooner.

When will you need air tools? Basically anything large and underbody. Exhaust work often demands a cutoff tool. Suspension work often demands an impact wrench. You can get by with a smaller oiled air compressor in the 15-25gallon range but I suggest upgrading all the fittings (especially the outlet ON the compressor) with High Flows like Milton V. I'd rather wait for a small compressor tank to refill then listen to a cordless impact rattle uselessly until the battery is dead.

As Chris142 said, you'll need a code reader. An BAFX ELM327 plus Torque on your phone is a good cheap start.

Ditto to shopping at estate sales. I've seen some rather comprehensive collections for sale that makes me wish i was starting out.

Originally Posted by jcartwright99
I don't want to spend more than 500-1000 to start. Maybe getting a basic decent starter set of tools and piece meal the rest as I need them. Any recommendations?

There's a bit of debate about this. You get more tools for less dollars when you get a kit. But often those big 500 or 1000 part kits are mostly screwdriver bits and allen keys, to up the parts count. They may have things like drum brake tools, that you may or may not ever need (depending on if you even have drum brakes).

I would definitely check out sets that are primarily sockets, wrenches, pliers and ratchets. Beyond that, you might be better off buying smaller sets and individual "best of breed" tools.

Which brand tools is always a hot forum topic. I love USA made tools (Williams, SK, and yes Snap-On) but they are quite expensive. A happy middle ground is Taiwan made tools. I avoid Chinese and Indian made tools. I have bought them in the past and had bad luck with them. Others have better luck.

Great, great great point about using a solid wood stump as a fall back to Jack stands.... A saying I have heard is 2 is 1 and 1 is none.... True to a large degree.

Here are some things that will come in handy.

BFH(Big F...... Hammer) Four pound engineering hammer works good. Chisel, punch, and pry bar because sooner or later you will need them.

I would not get air tools yet. I assume you're young and/or dumb and/or can take a little extra time to do stuff manually.

I'd get quality sockets and wrenches-- there's nothing more lame than rounding off a bolt head or having a ratchet skip a tooth and send your knuckles into hard & sharp metal.

I'd get a name brand jack & stand set, sold by a company you can sue if you get crushed. That's most everybody though.

I'd go cheap on nearly everything else. For general work use your 3/8 socket set. For suspension, invest in 1/2 stuff. You can get impact sockets, a breaker bar, and a cheap ratchet in 1/2 inch.

I'd pick up an ebay ELM327 scan tool for your phone. Like this guy for $3.47.

Buy something at harbor freight once and you'll get flyers for life. Also visit hfqpdb.com, they have the coupons scanned and HF will read them from your phone. Good way to pick up free work lights, volt meters, screwdriver sets, and other half-junk.

Now is also a good time to cruise Lowes and Home Depot for after Xmas sales.

Read the Hot Deals forum on garage journal: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36 They know tools and know cheap junk vs good value.

Youtube has nearly all your car repairs. Great resource.

I would NOT get a torque wrench yet-- they're only useful on stuff like axle nuts which you won't get into for a little while, probably. Take time to get a calibrated wrist.

I see good reviews for some of the Tekton wrenches, i have an offset box end wrench set by tekton. Seems to be good quality, made it Taiwan i believe. Craftsman is just not what it used to be. I would not buy craftsman unless you get older used sets.

I have 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 Blackhawk ratchets that i love, I also have multiple older craftsman. I have found that when it comes to something niche like flare nut wrenches, that a good brand like snap-on is worth it. Cheap flare nut wrenches will ruin and round off stuff.

I like the channel lock pliers adjustable pliers from home depot. I have a mix of older craftsman and husky screwdrivers.

You will probably need sockets in all three sizes 1/2 3/8 and 1/4. I don't know what to recommend here as the craftsman is hard to recommend now. As much as i hate so say it HF might be worth a look.

I have and love the Aircat 1150 impact wrench. I use klutch impact sockets from Northern Tool, they work great, I've used them a good bit and if they were not strong , the aircat would have busted them by now.

Whatever impact sockets you get, i prefer cro- mo to cro-v.

I would say that Harbor Freight will be your best friend. For beginning DIY auto repair a semi decent set of metric wrenches and 1/2 , 3/8 and 1/4 ratchets and sockets in shallow and deep. A good set of metric wrenches .Dont forget a good set of pliers, hammers and other general hand tools. A decent jack and jack stand set is a must for the weekend mechanic. As others stated a decent code reader as well. Optional item that makes life and working on cars easier is any 1/2 corded/cordless impact gun. Get an impact socket the same size as your lug nuts .

Originally Posted by Propflux01
The tool box can be sourced from Harbor Fright.The large General series are tough o beat.

This would be a great present for someone else to give OP for birthday/ holiday.

One can work out of a cardboard box when they're on a budget.

Most tool owners like to be in control of the actual tools they buy, unless they're lucky enough to inherit from a like-minded grandpa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back