What DDR3 Ram Should I Get

Get CPUz and figure out what speed and latency your current RAM is. If you don’t match both your timings will not be optimal. Since it’s a Dell and you don’t have any control over the RAM:FSB multiplier, it will default to the slower of the two different speeds you may end up with.

You want to buy the DIMMs in sets of 3 since that's the high end desktop version of the first gen core i series CPUs, and it should have a Xeon in it, so it should support unbuffered ECC, just go to eBay and look for modules in the size you want that are either 10600E, 12800E, or 14900E.

Get this for $9
or this lot of 10 for $18
Maybe if you message the seller you could get them to sell you a lot of 6 for like $10-12

So since the OP already has at least a 4GB modules, they should just buy the lot of 5 used 10600E modules I linked for $9 and max the RAM out and not break the bank on brand new modules on a nearly 15 year old machine, even if the module already in the system isn't ECC the ECC modules will work like regular RAM modules and the ones I linked are DDR3L, but DDR3L will work fine in both 1.5V or 1.35V systems but regular 1.5v DDR3 either will not work in systems that expect 1.35V or may damage the memory controller.

One of the nice things I've found about using old unbuffered ECC modules to upgrade desktop computers is most server modules have temperature sensors on them while their non-ecc equivalents don't, also old ECC modules tend to be available at a lower price than non-ECC modules, but you only can use unbuffered ECC this way, Registered (RDIMMS, R follows the transfer rate ie. 8500R, 10600R,etc) and Load-Reduced(LRDIMMS, L follows the transfer rate ie. 12800L, 14900L) will not work on desktop boards nor server platforms that only support unbuffered ECC.

You want to buy the DIMMs in sets of 3 since that's the high end desktop version of the first gen core i series CPUs, and it should have a Xeon in it, so it should support unbuffered ECC, just go to eBay and look for modules in the size you want that are either 10600E, 12800E, or 14900E.
I just opened the computer up and see I have 6 slots - 4 modules with 2 empty slots . They are covered by a blue box that doesnt look removable . Since I have 4 modules I'm guessing I have more than 4GB . Is there a Linux command that tells me what I have ?

I just opened the computer up and see I have 6 slots - 4 modules with 2 empty slots . They are covered by a blue box that doesnt look removable . Since I have 4 modules I'm guessing I have more than 4GB . Is there a Linux command that tells me what I have ?
either:
free
grep MemTotal /proc/meminfo

Reactions: Y_K
Out of curiosity which Linux distro are you running? Is it a 32-bit distro? Some of those may only see around 3-4GB of useable RAM even if more is installed.

Out of curiosity which Linux distro are you running? Is it a 32-bit distro? Some of those may only see around 3-4GB of useable RAM even if more is installed.
Ubuntu 18.04 - 64 bit
Thanks for the vide

Last edited:
Sounds like it's probably 4 1GB modules then, so I'd probably buy that lot of 10x 4GB modules for $16.92 I linked above, that'll put you up to the max, and then I guess you'll have spares.

Sounds like it's probably 4 1GB modules then, so I'd probably buy that lot of 10x 4GB modules for $16.92 I linked above, that'll put you up to the max, and then I guess you'll have spares.
Yes I opened it up and there's are #4 - 1GB modules . Wouldn't it be better to get #6 - 8GB modules like the video ?

**** .... My computer didn't like me removing that RAM . It's been loading something up for 20 minutes

Yes I opened it up and there's are #4 - 1GB modules . Wouldn't it be better to get #6 - 8GB modules like the video ?
In my personal opinion the cost of 6x 8GB modules exceeds the value of the machine and would be better spent towards a slightly newer machine, also I think the 8GB modules only work if you have the later 6-core CPUs.

Back