What battery charger do I need?

My cheap 2A B&D charger I think is done. It got really hot last time so I think the overcharge protection maybe isn't working. I don't know what to get. I use it on each vehicle about once a month just to make sure the battery got a full charge once in a while - with all vehicles having smart charging now.

Sometimes one vehicle sits for a while also. So I suppose what I need is a maintainer, however I always liked having a little more in case I did have a battery draw down I would have enough to charge overnight. 2A seemed like enough to do that.

Noco has a 2A and a 5A that's only 10 bucks more. Any downside to getting the 5A? Should I be thinking of something else completely? How many Amps do you think I need? Should I get a charger or tender, or do the ones that say they will do it all - actually do it all?

I don't really know how many amps you would need. But I just want to say I have the Noco 10 Amp charger. I have it wall mounted and I also purchased a 10' extension cable.

My tractor and ATVs have leads wired to their batteries and I try to give ever machine a good day or two on charge once a month. Usually the Noco goes to green/maintain super fast.

I'd go with the 5 amp. I was thinking more and remember Noco always stating how it won't over charge a battery. Reading through there website, I was looking for some more technical info on what they do... but couldn't find anything. But they do have plastered all over how their devices are a charger and maintainer all in one.

I think with their quality of Device you'd be fine with the 5amp to provide that little extra boost and act as a maintainer when needed. I believe then the Noco's are showing battery green, they are only providing a 1amp trickle charge.

1690384009128.jpg

I have one from Harbor Freight for general use. I like it because it has settings for conventional plus AGM batteries and can be used to trickle charge, quick charge or jump start a car.

But I also have a CTEK MXS 5.0 which is a battery charger and maintainer. It is much more expensive than the straight chargers which can be bought for between $30-$50 but serves a different purpose. I have it connected to my Jaguar which is only driven a couple of times per month. The CTEK units seem to be the Gold Standard for such devices.

I've been using the NOCO 5 amp model for a little over a year. IF my Mercedes battery needs a charge due to sitting unused for long periods with a PROGRESSIVE driving monitor plugged into the OBDll port (they eat batteries) it will charge to full after about 5 hours.

It also told me once that my battery was bad (which it was). Changed it out and everything is fine. 2018 battery in Florida is not going to have a very long life.

Another thing is that the temperature of the NOCO is very well regulated. That's important here since my garage regularly gets over 92 degrees. The charger doesn't get hot.

I've been using the NOCO 5 amp model for a little over a year. IF my Mercedes battery needs a charge due to sitting unused for long periods with a PROGRESSIVE driving monitor plugged into the OBDll port (they eat batteries) it will charge to full after about 5 hours.

It also told me once that my battery was bad (which it was). Changed it out and everything is fine. 2018 battery in Florida is not going to have a very long life.

Another thing is that the temperature of the NOCO is very well regulated. That's important here since my garage regularly gets over 92 degrees. The charger doesn't get hot.
Good point. The Ctek does get pretty hot to the touch. It doesn't seem to matter but if that bothers you, it does.

I would get the 5 amp charger. Five amps is enough to bring a flat battery back to full charge overnight, whereas a 2 amp charger can take all day. It's also not too much to be usable on something like a garden tractor. A 2 amp charger would only be necessary if you need to charge small batteries like for a smaller motorcycle.

I'd get an optimate or a CTEK before Id get another Noco.

The optimate covers a wider range of AH than the other offerings in the space.

You have to get into the data sheet (annoying because its a front page detail ) to see the AH range NOCO suggest and the 5 tops out at 120 AH.

The optimate 6 gold goes to 240AH which means it works on a small RV bank.

Last edited:
I would recommend the 5 amp.
It is just more versatile.
I have the NOCO 2 amp that I use as a trickle charger.
It does well for that, and reviewed higher than their one amp.
However, it would be my choice of last resort for charging a battery of any size.

I'd get an optimate or a CTEK before Id get another Noco.

The optimate covers a wider range of AH than the other offerings in the space.

You have to get into the data sheet (annoying because its a front page detail ) to see the AH range NOCO suggest and the 5 tops out at 120 AH.

The optimate 6 gold goes to 240AH which means it works on a small RV bank.

I wonder how they figure that - duty cycle perhaps? Maybe the Optimate can run 100% duty cycle for longer? Otherwise, one puts out 5A, and the other 6A - but the 6A rates twice the Ah? Interesting.

Depends - do you just want a battery charger for traditional batteries? Or does it also need to serve AGM's?

What about power supply for extended key on engine off diagnostics - most modern cars are so power heavy that you need to have a battery charger (in power supply mode) connected while performing any code scan or brake bleed functions.

What about flash reprogramming? You need a battery charger that can keep the battery voltage at a stable level while providing up to 50-60A's.

Depends - do you just want a battery charger for traditional batteries? Or does it also need to serve AGM's?

What about power supply for extended key on engine off diagnostics - most modern cars are so power heavy that you need to have a battery charger (in power supply mode) connected while performing any code scan or brake bleed functions.

What about flash reprogramming? You need a battery charger that can keep the battery voltage at a stable level while providing up to 50-60A's.
Most now claim to do LA, Lio and AGM?

I haven't needed any of these things yet. I imagine its well outside the amount I wish to spend just to keep some car batteries charged.

Personally I would never buy anything under an electronic 40 amp continuous unit with an engine start. (It has variable rates down to 4 amps)

It’s about the only charger I’ve ever owned that has half a chance starting a vehicle or lawn tractor with a truly dead battery.

I combine its desulphator function with a 60’s era Schumacher 2/6-6v/12v dumb charger to revive completely Doa batteries

If a battery is dead to the point it won’t charge you need an antique dumb trickle charger to revive enough to start.

Ever since getting this charger it has saved a lot of frustration and money since I don’t need to scam a ride to trade in a battery, I don’t take forever to get going even with a dead battery and for the lawn tractor I now get up to 5 years from a battery instead of annual like I used to.

What’s sort of sad is that this 40 amp Vector VEC1093dbd charger was actually cheaper than many of the poky gimmick chargers, which is another reason I don’t recommend a novelty charger, I rather have 2 reliable chargers that always work no matter what rather than 1 that only works for certain things.

It’s fully electronic so it won’t overcharge and has AGM/Gel/FLA curves

IMG_4253.jpeg

I wonder how they figure that - duty cycle perhaps? Maybe the Optimate can run 100% duty cycle for longer? Otherwise, one puts out 5A, and the other 6A - but the 6A rates twice the Ah? Interesting.

The optimate 6 is a 5 amp charger (odd I know).

It seems more related to being able to sense voltage rise over a longer period of time.

Personally I would never buy anything under an electronic 40 amp continuous unit with an engine start. (It has variable rates down to 4 amps)

It’s about the only charger I’ve ever owned that has half a chance starting a vehicle or lawn tractor with a truly dead battery.

I combine its desulphator function with a 60’s era Schumacher 2/6-6v/12v dumb charger to revive completely Doa batteries

If a battery is dead to the point it won’t charge you need an antique dumb trickle charger to revive enough to start.

Ever since getting this charger it has saved a lot of frustration and money since I don’t need to scam a ride to trade in a battery, I don’t take forever to get going even with a dead battery and for the lawn tractor I now get up to 5 years from a battery instead of annual like I used to.

What’s sort of sad is that this 40 amp Vector VEC1093dbd charger was actually cheaper than many of the poky gimmick chargers, which is another reason I don’t recommend a novelty charger, I rather have 2 reliable chargers that always work no matter what rather than 1 that only works for certain things.

It’s fully electronic so it won’t overcharge and has AGM/Gel/FLA curves

View attachment 168975

I have two of these in different sizes. Great charger, but not a maintainer.

Most now claim to do LA, Lio and AGM?

I haven't needed any of these things yet. I imagine its well outside the amount I wish to spend just to keep some car batteries charged.
I wouldn't say most - traditional lead acid and AGM yes, but not lithium.
If you just want to keep batteries charged without any extra features, the $29 duracell ones at costco are more than sufficient.

The optimate 6 is a 5 amp charger (odd I know).

It seems more related to being able to sense voltage rise over a longer period of time.
There website says 6A @ 12V, but it probably drops when you get to 14+ V which is needed to charge. The ratings on all these consumer things are always a little suspect for every company however - assume its under laboratory conditions.

Back