What are you working on today?

Took the radiator out of my Gen Coupe today to once and for all (I hope) to stop the lower radiator hose from leaking. The problem started when I had to shorten the lower radiator hose nipple and then had no bead. I tried different clamps and then some gasket sealer to no avail. Two years ago I attempted to put a bead on it with some electrical crimpers. I was too sloppy. Was going to put on some of those Gates heat shrink clamps. But after getting it out and starting to clean up the hose end good I got it pretty smooth. Whereas before the crimps had gaps between each other.

Bead crimper.jpg

But today I used some fine files and sandpaper to tap the high points down and smooth them out enough to get rid of the humps and gaps, but still some what of a bead. If this fails I'll have to then try the Gates clamps or get a new hose nipple welded on. :( Really needs one clocked a little to the inside anyway.

Tax stuff.

Picked up my air and cabin air filters for my Charger at NAPA.

I’ll plan to get more done today as yesterday was interrupted by a medical issue for my mom. It turned out ok, but is always a concern until it’s resolved. Doctor even said she’s doing beautifully. 😁

I've been bumming tree chips from tree companies and the power company for a few years. Usually just use it around the bushes and stuff. But will all the dead ash around there are literally tons of free chips. I've also been rebuilding the bank on my pond. The slope are worsening so I've been using old free power poles and tee fence post to terrace this slope. Then fill in with the wood chips. Most places are two poles stacked but going up to 4 eventually.

So one local tree service was next door and will be for the week. A lot of dead ash. Here's what they brought yesterday!

Mulch pile.jpg

today they said they would bring down a skidster and help dump it over the bank. The edge of the bank has been built up with a beaver dam like stick piles. This will fil up between that and the terraced poles to some extent and also on top of what I already there for the stacked poles.

This area still needs some poles or logs down at the water line. But shows where the mulch will fill.

East end pile.jpg

East end bank.jpg

Got the reverse lights working on the 92 Cavalier. This car is a manual transmission car so it has a backup lamp switch. I had power to the switch but when I back probed the connector with it plugged in, I had no power coming out of the switch going to the lights.

I unplugged the connector and used a fused jumper wire from the battery to the output wire of the connector and the reverse lights worked so I knew that the wiring, bulbs, and ground wire were all good. Installed a new switch and they work like they should.

Both today!

2013 F150. Vibrating like crazy. Ended up being the blower motor recirc door piece floating around in the squirrel cage. Reinstalled, now I have fresh air only option.

2012 Altima. “Service engine soon light.” Figured it would be small evap leak. Checked and reseated gas cap. Drove three cycles. Still there. Pulled code and got P0101.
Pulled and cleaned MAF. Already has new filter. Will test driving 40 miles to a client tomorrow.

Several other solutions. One is if there are no driveability issues they can just reprogram the ECU. I am sure they won’t do that until they charge the usual $75/half hour diagnostic fee. Time will tell.

Yesterday

Pressure washed two more service trucks yesterday. Boss is going on vacation today and will be gone through next weekend. I'm going to take the rest of this week off. Might pick up a small service job or two for next week. Might not.

replaced the sister's windshield wiper blades with new Michelin blades from Costco...I had bought a set of these late last year from Costco for her Corolla she sold and they had very difficult for me to use connectors...
these newer blades from Costco were different and connected to her Santa Fe easily with connectors similar to those found with my usual "go to" blades from Trico

Bill

Working on my mulch pile. 10 loads so far at 10 cu ft a load or so. It's light weight stuff so not hard to handle and really windy out. Having a hard time working up a sweat to take a break. Probably do another 6 or so after lunch.

I first started getting wood chip for mulch about 12 ears ago or so form the power company tree trimmers. Back then I was 300 lbs and could it took me near a half hour to just load one load up. Did three loads a day.

The '96 Nissan D21 returned to me today on the hook. Complaint is stalling/dying at random to the point where the owner was afraid to drive it.

I haven't had time to touch it but was impressed by the rollback operator with two prosthetic legs. I didn't ask what happened because I'm sure he's sick of that question.

I can't imagine what life is like but he's overcoming every day -- I dont know if I would be that strong. I believe he is owner/operator. Kudos to Top Gun Towing outta Farmington, NM!!
20240417_112114.jpg

Rain!

It knocks out any plans I had for working on my nieces van as it’s stuck on the garage apron and can’t be brought inside. 🤨

So I’m doing indoor domestic chores.

I did a quick oil change on my daughter's Jeep WJ. I never realized that the 4.0 could take a FL1a size filter until I looked it up today as I was still out of PH16 equivalent sized ones. That's great cause I have a lot of the Ford filters and only one seldom driven vehicle that takes them.

I also got a duck head kit for my harbor freight manual tire changer so I practiced mounting some tires with it. Combined with some professional bead lube, it works way better.

GMT400 replace door hinge pins and roller
View attachment 214866View attachment 214867View attachment 214868
and new hood release lever to replace broken oneView attachment 214869
Also, I was gonna say that the roller pin is "riveted" at the top and you have to find some way to cut it or grind down the spread end, but access is limited

This time I used my M12 belt file with a quality Cubitron belt to sand down the end, and it worked beautifully and didn't take long at all (again, Cubitron is the key for metalworking). Access is fantastic with this tool and it's low drama/low spark, thus minimal chance of knicking the body or fender.

Back