Wet Dual Clutch Transmission, long-term reliability (particularly Hyundai - Kia)

Hmmm, what kind of specialized tools VW requires? Does that mean that if one works on VW thinks that GM needs specialized tools?
And to think VW is unreliable but here is “regular old Silverado” as benchmark 😂
You are special. Lol. Vw is right up there with BMW reliability.
How many 20 year old Audi's are still running perfectly after 255k miles and 11,200 hours of working in construction. Lol. You're seriously going to compare a euro car to a GMT800 platform truck? Give your head a shake man.

You are special. Lol. Vw is right up there with BMW reliability.
How many 20 year old Audi's are still running perfectly after 255k miles and 11,200 hours of working in construction. Lol. You're seriously going to compare a euro car to a GMT800 platform truck? Give your head a shake man.
Idk, but, bankruptcy records might tell us something.

Ok, let me clarify that for you Native settler here: tell us, fools, who drive VW’s, what should we look for? What exact issues VW have, so I can look for, after owning 30+ of them, between personal vehicles, and ones as part of my business. I am all eyes and maybe ears.
Piston rings, turbos, water pump, mechatronic, etc.

Idk, but, bankruptcy records might tell us something.
Right. You don't know anything about the gmt800 and I don't know anything about the 30 VW you owned. If they are so great, why did you need 30 of them?

Right. You don't know anything about the gmt800 and I don't know anything about the 30 VW you owned. If they are so great, why did you need 30 of them?
Idk, maybe bcs. i had delivery fleet? You know, business, using vehicles to deliver goods from point A to point B? You should check concept, it is interesting.

Plenty of VW's running around with a couple hundred kmiles+. There are also incidences of VW's dying dead as a doormat in the first couple years. The same is true for all brands, VW is probably about average I am thinking.....If someone doesn't like VW's, that's ok. I Am the same about Subarus. No personal owner experience but a boatload of ricochet experience from friends and family. I won't buy one. I am not an automotive mechanic, I do have North of $50K worth of equipment and tools to work on cars though. I am pretty good at it and repair/maintain a lot of vehicles, mostly free of charge less parts. I have been around many auto mechanics over the last 6 decades. I wouldn't let 80% of them put air in my tires.

I like my VW's too and have owned 12 of them, starting with a 1970 VW Beetle (we have also owned at least one vehicle from each major manufacturer (3 of those currently)). The Dasher we owned was a poor car and everything on it broke (all 4 suspension springs, all window cranks, seat springs, etc) though it never stranded me. My experience with everything else, from Passats to Jettas, Golfs (incl. a GTI) and Tiguans has been either good or excellent. The worst experience I had with any of them (beyond the Dasher) was a leaking water pump on the GTI which was covered by a recall spurred by a class action suit. I am religious about basic maintenance at factory recommended intervals. We currently have a 2010 TDI with a DSG transmission and it is functioning flawlessly at 80K miles and will be getting fresh DSG fluid and filter this coming weekend (as stated above, it's a factory 40K service interval). We have owned 3 DSG equipped VWs and have had no problems with any of them. YMMV 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
Plenty of VW's running around with a couple hundred kmiles+. There are also incidences of VW's dying dead as a doormat in the first couple years. The same is true for all brands, VW is probably about average I am thinking.....If someone doesn't like VW's, that's ok. I Am the same about Subarus. No personal owner experience but a boatload of ricochet experience from friends and family. I won't buy one. I am not an automotive mechanic, I do have North of $50K worth of equipment and tools to work on cars though. I am pretty good at it and repair/maintain a lot of vehicles, mostly free of charge less parts. I have been around many auto mechanics over the last 6 decades. I wouldn't let 80% of them put air in my tires.

Funny, we've owned 6 Subarus (for reasons I can't fully explain or justify) and I absolutely despise them. We refer to them as "mostly engineered cars". From rear subframes rusting away to failure, multiple wheel bearing failures, tensioner failures, wiper motor failures, multiple head gasket failures (repackaged Bars Leaks anyone?), electrical gremlins that defied diagnosis and finally a lower end failure on an H6, I have to look away when I see one coming down the road ;) Again, just my experience, YMMV!

Back