Western Marketing "Preferred Choice" 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone familiar with this oil?

Western Marketing is a huge oil distributor in our area and this is their house brand. I buy my oil in 55 gal drums and I can get a drum of this 5w40 synthetic cheaper than I am paying for name brand 15w40.

I can't find any info on it.

Western Marketing says they sell a ton of it.

You should ask for an analysis, usually they can provide some sort of makeup. Is the 5/40 approved/recommended by any manufacturers? If you're going to use this in customers vehicles, Id have it analyzed for piece of mind. Usually anything 5/40 is a pretty stout oil, but you never know whats inside the barrel, they can slap a pretty sticker on anything. You know what they say though if its too good to be true....

Last edited:
I use some of there syn blend 5w & 10w30 for 5K OCI (in my daily beater) and it appears to be good to go. I may bump it up to 6K miles.

Originally Posted By: Bdog

Western Marketing says they sell a ton of it.

McDonalds and Taco Bell sell a ton of Burgers and tacos, doesn't mean they are any good...

Thanks for the replies. I asked and they had no info. I am sure someone in the company does but the person I spoke to did not. A google search did not bring up much.

The oil is not for customers it is for myself. I have a small business and have over a dozen things with Diesel engines. We have used either 5w40 or 15w40 in all off them. We use the 5w40 in winter time for easier cold starts and the 15w40 in the summer because it is cheaper. If this preferred choice oil it's good to go it would be nice to just use it all the time.

I know what you mean about the McD and Taco Bell and there is truth to that but they told me a lot of local truck fleets, heavy equipment operators, etc but and use it. I don't think they would do so if it didn't work good?

Can they demonstrate that their oils are certified in any way by the API, for instance, or have formal builder approvals? Check the API website and you can do a search, at least.

They're there, but I don't see a registered 5W-40 grade oil from this company when I search for them on the API site.

PMTOMZ7.png

It's possible it isn't certified. It's not unprecedented. Some of the medium and smaller oil companies (even a large one on occasion) will have a couple uncertified HDEOs. Usually, though, the 5w-40 ones are certified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back