Went Through Car Wash with Gas Flap Door Open.

'14 Jeep GC with capless system. Either I did a stupid thing, or it popped open. It ran fine coming home a couple miles.

What are the odds water entered the tank, and if some might have, would a bottle of HEET be okay for peace of mind? Or does the ethanol in E15 make it redundant?

Wife has to drive the vehicle a couple hours tomorrow. Just want to make sure she won't have problems related to this.

Thanks.

E15 will have lots of ethanol. I imagine the capless engineers put enough spring pressure in there to be safe even with the cosmetic door open.

The Ford capless are very very water resistant and I imagine all of them are about the same, but HEET hurts nothing (except maybe 2 stroke stuff) and if it makes you feel better, pour in one or 3. Yellow HEET Methanol is like a Coke, you can mix it with anything, and it will make your E15 more like E16 (which is to say, there is no real benefit)

They thought about things like that happening when capless was designed. There are redundant seals - you are fine.

If any water has pooled up at the top of the filler tube, I'd absorb that out with a sponge. Otherwise, do nothing until it idles funny and then add some drygas or fill up the tank with ethanol blend fuel.

Back