Welding question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will a 110V HF welder have enough power to weld some threaded rod to the frame of a Ram1500? I am try to mount an remote oil filter and would like to be able to remove the unit easily to fully drain hoses. Otherwise, if filter is mounted low enough to drain by gravity, it will be sticking below everything else and will be in danger of getting knocked off by road debris. I have some experience welding, but not nearly enough.

in my experience those welders are questionable at best, but sometimes can give a decent weld. i would weld it on and see how it sticks. if you pull on it fairly hard and it doesn't break off your good to go.

just clean the surfaces down to bare metal

Last edited:
Is it a wire feed welder? I have a low end Lincoln welder and have done lots of welding with it,,, I would say no the harbor Freight will not be the best choice. Bolt the mount to the frame.

Welding on a frame can be dicey......

check your state laws, sometimes a vehicle will fail inspection if there are any welds ANYWHERE on the frame.

Sometimes it's just best to make a bracket that uses existing holes, and the attach to that.

Originally Posted by CT8
Is it a wire feed welder? .

Yes. And no inspections here.

You say you have some experience welding, which is good. I wouldn't want this to be your first attempt at welding. Should be fine, but I'd tap the bracket with a hammer a few times before using it.

Ok my Lincoln does a surprising job until you consider the duty cycle. The off time is more the the on time. If I were to do it over I would have spent twice the money and bought unit with a better duty cycle. The cost over its life would be inconsequential. All of a sudden I have owned my welder for 15 years.

Originally Posted by chainblu
You say you have some experience welding, which is good. I wouldn't want this to be your first attempt at welding. Should be fine, but I'd tap the bracket with a hammer a few times before using it.

I used to occasionally weld anchor bolt templates into place for being set in concrete using a stick welder. Never had one fail or move. I was called the worlds ugliest welder one time. Not sure if he meant me or my welding.

if it is the flux core wire welder you will want to have clean bare metal to weld to.
It SHOULD weld well enough for that, but make sure you clean everything first with a grinder, the wipe down with acetone.
If possible you may want to heat the surface you are welding to so that the welder has better penetration.
Make sure you have good fit up, angle the threaded rod a little and be very careful of welding anything galvanized as that can kill you.
Afterwards prime and paint to prevent rust.

Little flux core wire welders make ok welds on 1/8" steel and are very smokey, but much above 1/8 and into 1/4 you really need to preheat to get ok penetration.

Stick would be better for this application as it's less flakey, but you should be able to do it.

Originally Posted by Rand
is there any reason you cant just bolt it on.. I would avoid welding on frame.

It is secured with the HD sheet metal screws that came with the mount in front of the front axle. In order to protect the filter from being hit, it need to be mounted so high that the lines will not drain completely during a OC. I want to be able to easily unbolt the filter and mount to drop it down and drain. When welding, it will be at the very front of frame, behind front bumper where there is very little stress applied to it. The stock location of the filter is directly above the front axle. It makes a HUGE MESS when doing OC.

Originally Posted by SuperDave456
if it is the flux core wire welder you will want to have clean bare metal to weld to.
It SHOULD weld well enough for that, but make sure you clean everything first with a grinder, the wipe down with acetone.
If possible you may want to heat the surface you are welding to so that the welder has better penetration.
Make sure you have good fit up, angle the threaded rod a little and be very careful of welding anything galvanized as that can kill you.
Afterwards prime and paint to prevent rust.

Little flux core wire welders make ok welds on 1/8" steel and are very smokey, but much above 1/8 and into 1/4 you really need to preheat to get ok penetration.

Stick would be better for this application as it's less flakey, but you should be able to do it.

Will do do this. Thanks.

That's a 90 amp welder and will work just fine for what you're doing, however, .035" wire will weld much better than the .030" it comes with. The .030" works better for tacking on patch panels and such. Lincoln wire is an improvement over the HF wire also.

Yes, I welded some shock bolts to the frame on by old blazer with my 90 HF Flux core welder and it did great. I almost always use .035 but .030 will work. I always remove the zinc coating though. You don't want to breath that stuff. Soak in white vinegar for a day and it will be gone.

Originally Posted by Donald
Why are you doing this in the first place? Remote adds hoses and connections to fail.

2017 Ram 1500 4x4. OF is mounted vertically directly over front axle. So buried that you have to put filter wrench on by feel. Oil gets everywhere when doing change and I hate a dirty engine. If installed in the correct place, remothe filters work great. I've had a couple in the past and never had a problem.

Originally Posted by LAGA
Originally Posted by CT8
Is it a wire feed welder? .

Yes. And no inspections here.

I have read the HF flux core welder works better if tou will buy some name brand wire for it .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back