Welding, Big learning curve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had some welding done on vehicle and was thinking of getting one. Is there a lot of thinking involved?

What kind? Gas, Stick or MIG? They all have a learning curve, and various tradeoffs of thinking during setup, or while you work. Stick and MIG are pretty easy if you can find someone to spend an hour and get you started.

it also depends what you wanna weld. I've done brazing and used a MIG without instruction - I'd like to try arc welding - but would like some help.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
I've had some welding done on vehicle and was thinking of getting one. Is there a lot of thinking involved?

Laying down a pretty weld with MIG is easy and brazing can be learned quite quickly.
Stick welding takes a lot more practice to create a pretty weld with good penetration.

The MIG process (even FCAW) with an auto-darkening helmet is the quickest to learn IMHO. Just a word of caution though. Don't go off and start trying to make critical welds (i.e. structural/high load) without first getting an experienced welder to show you the ropes and teach you about the key aspects of prep, heat control and penetration. Welding and fabrication can be an absolutely rewarding hobby, but it does take time to learn and an initial investment in tooling and supplies. If you want to read up on a lot of interesting discussions before you drop some of your hard earned coin go over to

http://www.weldingweb.com

and look over some of the posts.

Good luck and be safe!

I highly recommend taking a welding class at the local community college or adult school if you have one locally. You learn the proper technique and get to use good equipment to get a feel for what you'd like to use at home.

MIG is easiest to learn but if your machine isn't set right you'll have a heck of a time.

I teach college students that have never seen a welder how to stick weld with about 30 mins of lessons/tutoring, in about 2 hours of practice they put out decent butt and "T" welds.

Welding on a vehicle you want to make sure it's done right, an engine or suspension component coming loose is very bad. Body work welding is difficult to master. if not done correctly you warp the [censored] out of the panel.

poke around these sites
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/improving-your-skills/
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/#
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/list-top-welding.asp

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I highly recommend taking a welding class at the local community college or adult school if you have one locally. You learn the proper technique and get to use good equipment to get a feel for what you'd like to use at home.

I was just telling my wife that. Learn it the right way from a Pro.

I guarantee you'll enjoy the class. Usually you can bring in your own projects. I know of one class that "students" have been taking the class for over 5 years just for the shop time. Race cars, trailers, all sorts of stuff come out of the "classroom".

Our local high school Ag shop used to have a couple 1 week night classes per year. Local welding supply co would bring in additional welders, electric provider would suspend billing for the week. Took 2 while still in high school and a couple after. Great helps.

Check around, see what's available.

Bob

Originally Posted By: bepperb
What kind? Gas, Stick or MIG? They all have a learning curve, and various tradeoffs of thinking during setup, or while you work. Stick and MIG are pretty easy if you can find someone to spend an hour and get you started.

Good questions, to bad it was never answered. Good advice too.

I run a stick welder and I'm terrible!! The low cost of entry got me. I do have 240v/40amp service in my garage, expensive itself if you have to add it. There's a reason they call it "stick" welding; the rod will stick to your surface until you get good at it.

Easiest/best stuff to weld is exhaust parts, as it doesn't have to look pretty, and so-so penetration won't send you crashing.

Practicing on scrap metal is super fun too.
wink.gif

If you have one of those 500 watt work lights a foot away from your project, you can see what you're doing through the helmet. Otherwise you can only see while the arc is lit, a catch 22.

+1 Glad somebody else admits not having the art. I have gone to a 100 watt halagen spot light. Not as much in the way, or as hot, and lights up the one little spot I am trying to start an arc in.

Note, good Lincoln rod can make a big difference. When Home Depot closed here, I bought the last 2 packs they had cheap.

The local cc class I took covered oxy-acetylene, stick, mig, tig, a bit of cutting with oxy-acetylene, and plasma. I really liked tig personally but that seems to be the most expensive setup and be more of an art than the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back