Weird private-label tire names

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Some of the private label names are very peculiar, to say the least. I saw one the other day that I thought funny, but cannot recall in now.

But even some of the mainstream brands have ridiculous names. Hankook? Really?

Not to mention Kumho.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Why people defend this company and the Decatur plant is beyond me.

There's nothing left at Decatur but an empty building. It ceased to exist as a tire plant many years ago.

Since they had massive labor problems on top of production issues, it wasn't too hard of a decision to shut it down.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Where are rubber trees? Asia.
Where's China? Asia.

Where was latex vulcanization invented? America.
Where was it perfected? England.
This is fun! Your turn.

Where was 1,3 butadiene first identified? France

Where was 1,3 butadiene first isolated from petroleum pyrolysis products? America

Where was 1,3 butadiene copolymerized with styrene to make a rubber suitable for automobile tires? Germany

Now your turn - how many companies currently use natural latex to produce automobile tires?

I think it's eljefino's turn!

When I hear the phrase PrimeWell, I think of steak. Not tires. I've seen Sunny tires and I also have a cat named Sunny...

A buddy used to have a Mazda protege, the tires he got a "great deal" on had very few legible to me numeric digits on the sidewall and everything else was Chinese I suppose. No usuall D.O.T. codes visible.
Same guy also let a co-worker take his car to a guy that he knew who could pass his annual state inspection with C.E.L. on. A poorly photocopied fake inspection sticker is what he ended up with.

Co-worker has Stampede tires on his truck. His truck looks beat-up like it was stampeded on. And the tires are so worn, he's past the need for fresh rubber but he's to cheap, saying he wont need tires until the rainy season comes in - California we don't know when that's going to happen.

Some of these names make perfect sense--canyon climber that is an all terrain or mud tire.good marketing.

That said i did run a set of Jupiters on a Maxima,good tires wet or dry.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I still think KUMHO sounds/looks wrong.

Yeah, I spotted that one too. Not proud of it.
I think they're made in Idaho.

Last edited:
Holy run on thread batman.

DoubleCoin may sound silly to American, but it is a famous brand of food stuff like dried vegetables, beans, etc that's high quality in China way before its communist time. It is sort of like a good luck logo of the old, think Shamrock for the Irish.

Hankook means the nation of Korea, literally.

If I guess right Kumho literally mean "Luxury and Beauty" in Korean.

Linglong means "clever and nimble" in the "Old School Chinese"

http://baike.baidu.com/subview/48989/4986559.htm

I get a kick out of the Triangle brand name. Doesn't project an image of a smooth driving experience. I know it's just a name, but a three sided object for a tire brand. I guess you can expect them to be out of round all the time...

Back