Weird Heat Pump Issues- Article

If the system is sitting with no power on the pressures have equalized between the high side and low side so no refrigerant is flowing. Even temperature changes throughout the day wouldn't cause enough flow to make any noise.

Ive been doing hvac for close to 15 years now and have never heard a piece of equipment make noise like that. Especially something that isn't energized.

Really sounds like a woodpecker going to town on something to me.
I appreciate it but I only have a wood deck and no marks on it. I stand over it outside and the noise is coming from it.

I heard back from my HVAC tech son. He said he was aware of the syndrome and also knew it was caused by the part you linked. He did not know the fix in the article though.

I heard back from my HVAC tech son. He said he was aware of the syndrome and also knew it was caused by the part you linked. He did not know the fix in the article though.
I'm very appreciative guys. It's driving me nuts. I shut down the complete system and I'm using an industrial heater in the basement.
Hoping Monday.

I'll be curious to see what you find out because Bryant doesn't use a thermostatic expansion valve in their outdoor units. They use a fixed orifice called a piston.

I'll be curious to see what you find out because Bryant doesn't use a thermostatic expansion valve in their outdoor units. They use a fixed orifice called a piston.
Yes I did listen to your advice and thank you.
I found a video that is something like mine and I am not a HVAC guy period but they were talking about a defrost issue ???
My shop is block and vinyl siding and parging
And one deck. Tonight again I looked over everything. Nothing to attack but the deck..and it has no marks on it.
If it does it tonight I'm running out to video it.
I hope not...thanks.

My only other thoughts are its the contactor chattering or the reversing valve chattering but neither or those are generally that loud. Other than the fan motor and the compressor those are the only moving parts. Both the reversing valve and contactor run on 24 volt power so even with the disconnect pulled for the outdoor unit it is possible that they are still getting power. The furnace supplies all the 24 volt power to your system.

My only other thoughts are its the contactor chattering or the reversing valve chattering but neither or those are generally that loud. Other than the fan motor and the compressor those are the only moving parts. Both the reversing valve and contactor run on 24 volt power so even with the disconnect pulled for the outdoor unit it is possible that they are still getting power. The furnace supplies all the 24 volt power to your system.
Great info. I suppose the block construction may make it sound louder...it does vibrate the house.
When the HP is running it is very smooth and quiet and keeps the Temps as required.
Not fan or bearing issues and as you know the issue is when it isn't running. I have never had one issue or repair.
I want to get more footage of the situation for the techs... thanks 😊

Did you ever get this resolved? I was thinking of turning on my heat pump this morning and thought of it. In fact, I chickened out and left it on gas. See what you've done? 😮

Did you ever get this resolved? I was thinking of turning on my heat pump this morning and thought of it. In fact, I chickened out and left it on gas. See what you've done? 😮
It actually went into the world of bizarre. I will update it when I make sure it's really over with.. So far 3 calm days. 🤞

I used to do A/C way back when they were simple. My thought is temperature differential between the inside and outside driving the refrigerant movement. I assume it happens, and maybe some kind of check valve or relief is acting up?

Back