Weird Ford Focus 2007 Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I see, I didn't see the first page before, thank you anyway, I'm glad that we have an air filter up to 150,000 miles, so I don't need to looking for this filter anymore, thank you Alan.

If I remember correctly this is one of those years where the air filter is serviced as a unit with the air cleaner, if so you may want to be sitting down when the dealer quotes you the price.

Originally Posted By: AlanCanada
How would I know if the previous owner didn't hit reset?
It will get sucked down to the restriction level the next time the car is driven. It's just a vacuum guage with a memory basically and the restriction pulls a vacuum which pulls the guage down.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I CAN'T BELIEVE WE SPEND SO MUCH TIME ON OIL FILTERS HERE, AND SO LITTLE ON AIR FILTERS.
It has been posted before, but the problem it there are way too many way think they know. Air filter ... the most important filter on the engine.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Have I mentioned how much I like that my focus has a normal user replaceable air filter? lol

So Ford has dropped the "lifetime" filter?

I noticed it had a reset button on the side of it. How would I know if the previous owner didn't hit reset? Is there any way to measure the current health of the filter?

the reset doesn't reset it permanently. It is basically a vacuum gauge that holds it reading. The next time you drive your car the gauge will be showing the same as it did before you hit the reset button (unless a new filter was installed of course).

Thank you for those excellent links. The google search yielded a link to this pdf:

Performance and Benefits of Zero Maintenance Air Induction Systems (SAE International)

It's interesting to note that in the paper they say the filter is considered at end of service like ("clogged") if the pressure drop is 2.5 kPa more than the baseline deltaP of the new filter. But a typical built in pressure drop sensor on the airbox is usually set around 5 to 7 kPa. That's at least twice as much deltaP. The deltaP sensor calibration must be taking into account the clean filter delatP also since it's comparing filter downstream pressure to ATM pressure (?).

So is this like a oil-bath air filter? If so, that's uber-cool. Like my 1951 Ford 8N tractor.

The good thing about this is that the filtering is much better than can be achieved with a paper filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back