Weekend repair list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Sounds like a busy weekend, mcclasser.

If you have a minute, could you tell us the country of origin of the Moog and Timken parts you bought?

Both boxes say in made in USA
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: mclasser

- Replace distributor o-ring that's been leaking oil for 2 yrs.

It has a distributor?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Below 70 is too cold

I LOL'd but then I saw your location so it makes sense.

+2

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Sounds like a busy weekend, mcclasser.

If you have a minute, could you tell us the country of origin of the Moog and Timken parts you bought?

Both boxes say in made in USA
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I did a full grease job on the front of the Expedition today. That was fun.

I bet.

Later today, I plan on fixing an issue that I had last night where my left headlight would flicker and go out.
I already investigated and its a bad crimp at the grounding ring terminal. I could move the wire and see it moving in the crimp. Then the light would start working again.
I have a hand made headlight harness. Going to see if I can solder it on since I have a 150W soldering gun now.

Last edited:
Update: Knocked out all the repairs this weekend. The bearing replacement went particularly smooth because the inner race also came out with the hub. The old bearing sounded gritty and had a good bit of slop. Both the original and new bearings are by NTN. The factory one lasted 200K so hopefully this one goes until the the car goes to the junkyard.

The dizzy o-ring was hard and brittle so I'm glad I replaced it. It leaked slowly but I didn't like hot oil dripping onto the heater hose underneath.

The Moog tie rods are good so far. No more wandering at highway speeds. Used Valvoline Durablend grease.

Update: Knocked out all the repairs this weekend. The bearing replacement went particularly smooth because the inner race also came out with the hub. The old bearing sounded gritty and had a good bit of slop. Both the original and new bearings are by NTN. The factory one lasted 200K so hopefully this one goes until the the car goes to the junkyard.

The dizzy o-ring was hard and brittle so I'm glad I replaced it. It leaked slowly but I didn't like hot oil dripping onto the heater hose underneath.

The Moog tie rods are good so far. No more wandering at highway speeds. Used Valvoline Durablend grease.

Keep them greased often. I try to do mine every three thousand. More if I think about it. I really notice if I try to push it off as the steering gets stiffer.
When I bought the car, one had rusty water in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Donald
My weekend list is: stay inside, too cold to work on cars outside.

Felt bad for your inconvenience !

We are supposed to have high 70's low 80's this weekend and all of next week in So Cal. Just about perfect to do some light works outside the house.

While your tender Californian hide might not survive it, I've changed oil when the temperature has been in the twenties and I'd bet that Donald has as well.
The LA climate is boring. It's often cool but never really cold and it's never really hot either. We get both real cold and real heat here, coupled with suffocating humidity. You'd keep the top of your S2000 up here through July and August, since you'd crave the AC. Rain is rare, hard and brief in Socal. We get 42" of it each year here. We had a hard rain last week with a couple of inches in the course of a day. When did you last see that in Socal? We're now having howling winds with gusts up to 40 MPH. Don't really get that in LA either.
The climate here and on the east coast is highly variable through the year and even over the course of a week.
Keeps things interesting and makes for a great appreciation of our springs and falls, but you don't really see those seasons in your neck of the woods.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
While your tender Californian hide might not survive it, I've changed oil when the temperature has been in the twenties and I'd bet that Donald has as well.
The LA climate is boring. It's often cool but never really cold and it's never really hot either. We get both real cold and real heat here, coupled with suffocating humidity. You'd keep the top of your S2000 up here through July and August, since you'd crave the AC.

It's so true. On the average I like to have A/C running in my house about 5-10 days a year, some years I didn't even turn on the fans for more than 5-6 days.

In winter we rarely need to run the furnace to heat the house, only few nights for 2 months December and January.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Rain is rare, hard and brief in Socal. We get 42" of it each year here. We had a hard rain last week with a couple of inches in the course of a day. When did you last see that in Socal? We're now having howling winds with gusts up to 40 MPH. Don't really get that in LA either.
The climate here and on the east coast is highly variable through the year and even over the course of a week.
Keeps things interesting and makes for a great appreciation of our springs and falls, but you don't really see those seasons in your neck of the woods.

The last 4-5 years we had less than 4-5" of rain a year, some of the rain were during the night so we had no more than 3-4 rainy days.

Almost every day was/is the same: sunshine and low to mid 70's. Occasionally it shoots up to low 90's for couple days then back down to 70's.

OTOH, I'm trying not to be too jealous.
A mild and consistent climate would be a fine thing.
I'd miss the spring rains, though. They bring us a lovely and rapid greening of the landscape every year.
I suppose that if you want to see snow, there are mountains not far from you that do have it.

Originally Posted By: George7941
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
The ones it has, the hoses are crimped, with like hydraulic fitting crimps, to the hard-line. Really irritating because the hoses are old and leak but I can't just replace them. On the newer lines the hoses just push on and are held with a clamp.

Could you not carefully cut off the crimp ferrules with a cut off wheel and clamp on a new (oil and temp resistant) hose?

(Just now saw this)
Yeah, I thought of that, and I have a dremel so thats probably what Im going to do. Hoepefully there is some sort of ridge or something for the hoses to fit over so I can clamp against it.
I might ask around a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back