Way to make print output darker on Brother printer?

Friends have a Brother HL-2170w, and have noticed that the ink is coming out lighter on the paper. Ink is about 25% left, so they don't want to replace the toner. There is an ink-saver feature that is turned off.

Is there anything else that might work? For instance, my HP LaserJet p1102w has a Print Density option. Do the Brother printers have this as well?

I was about to say "pitch that inkjet in the trash and buy a laser printer," but I decided to look up the model number first and discovered it is a laser printer. :D

First step for me would be to print a test page:

1653697362183.jpg

If the test page looks good, the problem is at the computer. If the test page is light, and Toner Save Mode is off (as you stated), then I would replace the toner cartridge. Your friend can always put the original toner cartridge back to use it up if the problem is elsewhere. If the printing is still too light with a new toner cartridge, then it could be the drum unit, at which point it might be more cost effective to replace the printer.

Here's a link to the manual with more troubleshooting tips.

Hope this helps.

OK I have just forwarded that recommendation.

I forgot about the drum. The HP lasers I've had don't have a dedicated drum unit, so I didn't even think that this might be an issue.

I was about to say "pitch that inkjet in the trash and buy a laser printer," but I decided to look up the model number first and discovered it is a laser printer. :D

First step for me would be to print a test page:

If the test page looks good, the problem is at the computer. If the test page is light, and Toner Save Mode is off (as you stated), then I would replace the toner cartridge. Your friend can always put the original toner cartridge back to use it up if the problem is elsewhere. If the printing is still too light with a new toner cartridge, then it could be the drum unit, at which point it might be more cost effective to replace the printer.

Here's a link to the manual with more troubleshooting tips.

Hope this helps.

drums cost about 20 . cheap on brother printers.

usually though its streaking or faint spots..
if whole printout is too light 99% chance its a setting somewhere.

drums cost about 20 . cheap on brother printers.

usually though its streaking or faint spots..
if whole printout is too light 99% chance its a setting somewhere.
Yeah, I got the recommendation about the drum straight from the troubleshooting section of the manual. I agree it's not the most likely culprit. Didn't know they had gotten that cheap though. :)

I cant speak to the Brother in particular but when we had a problem with density we would always take the toner cart. out and shake it side to side. The toner would pack down after sitting a long time and the last 15-20% would give us trouble. It normally worked fine after that but we took it as a sign to get a new cartridge.

It's worth a shot to pull out the toner cart and give it a good shake, then reinstall. It's not a permanent fix, but often works when toner is low or using a refilled/aftermarket cartridge.

Just went over there for a lunch. Yeah, you folks who were suggesting a new toner, were right. I swapped in a new toner and the ink was much darker. Interesting--on my HP laserjet at home, it prints 100% strength until it is about 0% left, and it starts streaking. This one, just printed everything with no streaks, but every single character printed was noticeably lighter. Oh well problem solved.

good info for sure for me to learn about my GREAT simple B+W brother laser printer, so much better than the canon AinO or HP ink jets IMO!!

Many 3rd party cartridges print light, try original Brother toner.
I had same issue with several cheap 3rd party toners in my DCP-L2550DW, no adjustments would make prints dark but after I changed to expensive original toner prints are back to perfect.

Back