Waterless...this guy is either an idiot or genius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Snoman002

Are you referring to Chemical Guys waterless wash, or Chemical Guys products in general.

I cannot speak to the waterless wash, however many of the Chemical Guys products are held in high regard. Chemical Guys also make a few products that are relabeled by Adams, which is another well regarded product line.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
Why so opposed to CG? I have been pleased by everything so far other than the v7 hybrid stuff. I use meguiars d156 instead of that. The 16oz bottle doesn't have a spray top. Just a cap. Don't know why the pic shows a sprayer. You buy your own sprayer, dilute 2oz product into 32oz distilled water. It works well. I really like their Silk Shine for vinyl, leather, rubber stuff. I like their new car smell air freshener. Smells clean, not exactly like a new car, but very nice. Recently bought their clay block thing, and I like that. They make a good paint sealant as well. I have the Factory Seal paint sealant. I usually buy by the gallon. But the waterless wash stuff was concentrated so the 16oz makes 2 gallons of ready to use product. I thought $20 was pretty reasonable for that.

CG in general. Most of their products are very average and do not stand out from their competition. Their marketing has also been a bit "much" and their products are quite overhyped.

I would say that CG's line compares very favorably to consumer-line, over-the-counter products. But when compared against products from Optimum, CarPro, 3D/HD or Meguiars' professional line, they fall short.

Examples:

- Compounds/polishes - Optimums Hyper Polish/Hyper Compound, HD Adapt, M100/M205 are all top-notch and well respected in the high-end professional community. CG's V series does not have anything that comes up close from a performance standpoint.

- Rinseless and waterless washing -- Meguiars D114/D115, Optimum No Rinse or No Rinse Wash & Wax -- those are the preferred options from both a performance and cost standpoint for most professionals. CG's options are not on very much radars.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Let the product do the work instead of muscle and you'll be fine. Moving the wash media across the surface instead of putting downward pressure on the wash media in a traditional wash is one big difference.

I just can't wrap my head around it. I'll stick with the tried and true for me. Or maybe open my mind and try it on a beater.

Well, like I said, the only product I wasn't really pleased with was the V7 hybrid spray. I didn't like that, but have been happy with everything else. Especially for the price. If you look on amazon, sometimes it's cheaper than their website. I read a lot of reviews before buying, and most is well reviewed.

Well, like I said, the only product I wasn't really pleased with was the V7 hybrid spray. I didn't like that, but have been happy with everything else. Especially for the price. If you look on amazon, sometimes it's cheaper than their website. I read a lot of reviews before buying, and most is well reviewed.

Have to keep the audience in mind.

Anyway, I ordered a gallon of D115 to play with.

Not sure what you mean by keeping audience in mind. I'm not a detailer by profession if that's what you're talking about. I used to be a detailer at a dealership quite some time ago and learned a lot, but now I pretty much do my own cars and occasionally family members' cars and stuff like that. I like to try different options to find what works best for me and my budget, and several of those have turned out to be chemical guys products. Others have not. What's the d115? The d156 works awesome after a wash.

Not sure what you mean by keeping audience in mind. I'm not a detailer by profession if that's what you're talking about. I used to be a detailer at a dealership quite some time ago and learned a lot, but now I pretty much do my own cars and occasionally family members' cars and stuff like that. I like to try different options to find what works best for me and my budget, and several of those have turned out to be chemical guys products. Others have not. What's the d115? The d156 works awesome after a wash.

That's what I meant -- in the high-end detailing circle, CG is rarely a brand that comes up anymore.

D115 is Meguiars' product for waterless wash and wax. D156 is their spray sealant; I usually use D156 after rinseless washing with D114.

Gotcha. Yeah. I use the d156 after washing also. Either waterless or hose and bucket. The d156 is really good stuff as far as I've experienced. I usually waterless wash once a week and use the California duster every morning (as long as there isn't any dew on the car) and when I'm done driving for the day. Keeps my car pretty clean all week and it's parked outside all the time. The d156 leaves a nice slick coating that lets the duster remove the dust quickly and easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back