watch out IE users

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't always used Debian. There was a time when I used Mac OS 7.6.1. In fact we still have the Power Mac and regularly use it for fly swatting jobs it still does best.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Thank God nobody in their right mind browses with IE......

Hmmmm really dude..internet explorer 6 here for the last 5 years
or so and not one problem-ever!..

when you have sex you use protection..

Originally Posted By: daman

But using IE is like using a condom full of pin holes.....
wink.gif

wink.gif

But think of this,,she's not knocked up yet in many years,so
somthing is being done right,,right????

Quote:

I wouldn't trust a bank that cannot get a website working right with FF. If I were you I would switch bank instead.

Conversely, I would avoid a bank that only uses proprietary MS technologies like Active-X

Proprietary MS=Easily exploitable.

wink.gif

But think of this,,she's not knocked up yet in many years,so
somthing is being done right,,right????

I would give far more credit to your browsing habits than the browser
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: mormit

I have zero problems with IE and Windows XP. No virues, malware, no crashes. Never have had a "blue screen of death". Microsoft has 95% of the desktop market for a reason.

Sheeple
happy2.gif
happy2.gif
happy2.gif
baaaah baaaah!

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
I have a few sites that I'd like you go to using IE 6 or IE 7, then go to them with any of the Mozilla variants or Opera. With IE, you WILL have a plethora of junk automatically installed. With the others, you won't have any stuff installed.

Are you Paul Thurott in disguise?
wink.gif

Now I did not say you were not SAFER using a browser other than IE... just that there are vulnerabilities using any browser. I am not an IE cheerleader.

OH.. and no, Paul's inflated reviews are not worshipped here.

Originally Posted By: Zembonez
Those of you who assume you are safe because you are not using IE should think again.

I think it's correct to assume, at least in my situation, that FF 3 is more secure than IE 6.

Sheeple?? That's all you can say? Microsoft doesn't even have a decent glitzy ad agency so you really can't put the mindless, media hype on Windows.

I'm talking about what works. The vulnerabilities of MS products are always overblown by sour grapes who cannot be just happy with their own systems. All systems have their vulnerabilities. I am happy with the Windows and Linux I use and have no interest in bad mouthing anything else.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Or, to put it another way, it's a condom full of broken glass shards.

banana2.gif

No. Actually IE works just fine. I like Firefox. Really, I do. However, IE works best on my system when running XP....your results may vary. I've said before I have used many OS/browser combinations and IE has its place. I use FF and Opera when in Linux and that seems to be the best combination...again..for me and my machine.

Why can't everybody just use the software that they like without ridicule from people who do not use IE? It's just software people.

It might have to do with the bitterness built up by having to clean up spyware infested IE installations on Windows boxes for the last 6 or so years (when Spyware/Adware really started to take off).....

While IE may work just fine for you, I can think of probably 1,000 FIRST HAND examples where IE has NOT worked and has become hijacked, infested, and led to system compromise and a host of other fun things. All because somebody visited a website.....

All because somebody visited a website.....

You trail off..... and THEN what happened?

Kind of like the wife's best friend who doesn't understand why her car won't start. She was just playing the car sterio while she worked outside in the yard a few hours with the car doors open.....

There is nothing wrong with non-technical people. They keep guys like us in high demand. Just realize that if you move the non-technical population off of Windows, a high rate of issues will follow.

Actually, I move them to Firefox and then the rate of reoccurrance is substantially less.

I have no idea what they did after they visited the website. Probably clicked on something they shouldn't have. Or a security flaw that MS hadn't addressed yet was exploited by the website that allows malicious code to be installed and voila! The browser is hijacked!

I'm not there when they screw it up. I'm just there later to fix it.

The software should protect the end-user from badware where ever possible. IE doesn't do that by design. MS started this all with IE 4 and it's "integration". Everything since that time has been a kludge to make IE more appealing to the end-user w/o changing the basic framework of IE itself. UAC in Vista was expressly made for this purpose. The technical details of UAC are really gory and note easily explainable.

When using ANY other browser, I don't go back to people's houses anywere near as often to scrape off layers of spyware.

I would like to throw in my 2 cents here with two observations:

1) I am uncertain if this is still the case, but for a good long while, IE was a part of the flippin' *kernel* of the OS itself. This meant that in addition to being a fairly insecure program i it's own right, any vulnerabilities that were taken advantage of also posed a considerable threat to the very core of the system. Add to that the face that a Windows installation made the default user an Administrator and you have a recipe for big, big trouble.

2) As a web developer, I can assure you, on behalf of web developers everywhere, that IE (moreso version 6 than other versions) is the bane of my existence. It is horrible with standards compliance, meaning that pages look all wonky and weird, necessitating IE-specific hacks and fixes. I'll bet I spend a good 20% of the time developing a small static site making IE concessions. It is infuriating.

Point #2 was made not to aid in the evaluation of IE as a viable and secure browser, but to let those that hate it know that it is reviled universally, deeply and completely by people of all professions and walks of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back