Washer and Dryer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy owner of an LG front-loader set here. Had them for ~6 years and have been completely reliable. They just hum away, quietly. Love the savings in power and water use.

Use "HE" detergents, as they're optimized to work with the unique characteristics of a front-loader. Standard detergents tend to produce too many suds.

Due to the water-tight design of the door, it is necessary to leave it ajar to allow for air circulation when not in use. Some have had funky smells develop when they've left the door closed just as they would with their old top-loaders.

I should also let Pablo know that the amount of HE soap is just amazing. We do quite a few loads of wash a week (6-10) and just finished our first container of ALL detergent. When you start our washer it weighs the load and tells you how much soap to use. Then you pause it and put the soap in. I've never seen $9 worth of soap last so long. And the clothes do come out clean.

I was worried about the odor with the front load too. So we leave it open and so far after 9 months all is good. I do run the clean cycle once every month-6 weeks.

Also with the high rpm spin cycle the clothes come out with less water so the dryer cycle is shorter. We use electric even though we have gas here. I only use gas for the high use units like heat and water heater.

Hopefully this info helps somewhat...

Bill

Last edited:
From experience: if they're still making them, avoid any high-end Kenmore/Sears washers with touch-pad controls. When they quit working, the whole control panel has to be replaced- $$$! Mom had hers replace twice, under extended warranty. It threatened to go out again, a month before the ext warr ran out- if it had they'd have had to replace the machine. Since it survived, it's now on the "do not resucitate" list!

Old fashioned dial & switch controls, easily & cheaply replaced, are your friends.
thumbsup2.gif

I own a pair of Frigidaire base models Front Load/dryer match based on the fact they were cheap ($750/set) and able to go up a very tight stair case.

I am very happy with 2 years service despite mediocre reliability reviews. At least they are made in North America, washer Mexico and Dryer in USA.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I own a pair of Frigidaire base models Front Load/dryer match based on the fact they were cheap ($750/set) and able to go up a very tight stair case.

I am very happy with 2 years service despite mediocre reliability reviews. At least they are made in North America, washer Mexico and Dryer in USA.

I believe I have the same units as you. Mine are branded Amana however. I remember my set being a little cheaper, and I had a 10 percent coupon, and a $100 gift card so what I forgot the actual amount paid.

I have had zero problems with either unit for three years. I've had both units balanced on a custom wood platform, and they are pretty quiet as well.

I just don't see the value in low water/high efficiency units in this part of the country. Water is cheap here, and electricity to run them is nothing. We only do about 5 loads of laundry per week..

Done a lot of laundry on these Sammy units, both made in korea. Both quiet, and do a great job. The washer cycles are a little long, they can top 2 hours with max duty cycles, pre wash, extra rinse, etc.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Done a lot of laundry on these Sammy units, both made in korea. Both quiet, and do a great job. The washer cycles are a little long, they can top 2 hours with max duty cycles, pre wash, extra rinse, etc.

Are they by chance the ones that are on sale at Lowes? If not what model?

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I'm looking for a washer machine myself. Just closed on a house on 11/12. the washer machine that was left, it gives an overload code every time even when it is empty. I know nothing about these appliances

If anyone is interested...I've been doing alot of research on this kenmore oasis HE washer that was left in the home I just closed on. A common problem seems to be an overload code through a google search. I took out the washer tub and it was a bear to pull out. I had to use PB blaster on the drive shaft to lift the washer tub out. There was alot of corrosion and some moldy/dirt substance all over the drive shaft. I cleaned the bejesus out of it.

One of the repair websites said that this corrosion/dirt stuff on the drive shaft happens from people using regular detergent in a HE washer. (who wouldn't? regular detergent is cheaper than HE detergent LOL) Regular detergent in a HE washer causes too much suds due to less water being used. When there is too much suds and the washer drains the water, the excess suds turn into moldy crud under the washer tub and corrodes up the drive shaft. It makes perfect sense to me. I'm going to put back the washer together tomorrow and hope the thing works correctly.

After reading about FL and TL washers online and shopping around locally, I ended up buying a new LG HE FL direct drive washer at Sears for about $585 delivered and set up. Sales reps recommended LG and Samsung washers above all others, even more than Maytag. It was the same with LCD TVs : Samsung and LG were said to be the best, and amazon reviews agree with this.

I also bought a new LG 37" LCD TV a while back. Both nice units, and are built to last.

I use Biokleen and Ecos HE laundry detergents in my LG HE washer. The Biokleen only takes one TBS per load and has 128 loads in a 64 oz jug, and they both do a great job of cleaning because, for one reason, clothes are tumbled in less water with a higher soap to water ratio.

I'd never use a non HE soap in it though. They say it can damage the unit.

Quote:
(who wouldn't? regular detergent is cheaper than HE detergent LOL)

Not always. I paid $9 for a 64 oz jug of Biokleen on sale at Kroger's, and it's good for 128 loads, which figures out to about 7.6 cents per load with TN tax. The Ecos brand is similarly priced.

Biokleen and Ecos are both much more Earth and people friendly than toxic name brand soaps such as Tide, All, etc. They also do a very good job of cleaning, and my clothes smell good and not what I call toxic.

We like the Samsung washer and dryer that we have at home enough that we purchased a set for our lake house a few weeks ago.

The only problem we've had was with the first dryer that was delivered. The ignitor didn't work so Lowes delivered a replacement dryer the next day.

I found it interesting that when I exchanged the propane orifice when the replacement dryer was delivered, the failed ignitor was manufactured by Maytag. The replacement dryer, while an identical model, had a different style non Maytag ignitor. Since then we haven't had any problems with either set. We received 10% off both purchases from Lowes, who usually seems to have an appliance discount available.

We have the steam clean feature in our dryer at home and use it weekly. My wife loves the ability to freshen her dress clothing without dry cleaning, a feature that has saved a couple hundred dollars in itself. We also freshen blankets, curtains and pillows using the steam feature. I also like the large capacity; big enough to wash and dry our king size quilts so I don't need to make a periodic trip to a laundromat.

The washer and dryer at our main home made a significant difference in our water, propane and electrical use and I don't see any reason why the set at the lake home won't make a similar impact, albeit on a smaller scale since we're only there about 20% of our time. I expect the savings in water, propane and electricity to pay for our set at our main home by the time they're 4 or 5 years old. I haven't calculated a payback for the set at our lake house, but since we needed a new set anyway the Samsungs were only slightly more expensive than a "budget" set would have been, and I have no doubt that they will make up the difference in a few years of energy, water and detergent savings.

Well we are going with:

http://www.lg.com/us/appliances/washers/LG-steam-washer-WM2501HWA.jsp

and

http://www.lg.com/us/appliances/dryers/LG-gas-dryer-DLGX2502W.jsp

From Home Despot. $599 and $669 respectively. $112 sales tax.

Includes hauling the old two away (dead 9.5 yo Kenmore gas dryer that I have fixed at least 5 times, and 23 year old Maytag washer, that still worked but leaked a little) and set up of new.

Suckers have everything the wife wanted. Almost went stainless for another $100, but the tops and sides are stainless!! What a rip. Steam allergen stuff looks cool. I think the dryer will show that the washer is the bottleneck in the flow....and what's with $249 each for the pedestals?? No thanks.

Anyway, I feel really lousy buying Korean stuff. Ugh. Don't tell the M.I.L.

Good choices. I've got the 2301 for the washer/dryer.

You'll like them. They have come down about $120 total since we bought ours.

Let us know what you think!

Bill

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
We like the Samsung washer and dryer that we have at home enough that we purchased a set for our lake house a few weeks ago.

The only problem we've had was with the first dryer that was delivered. The ignitor didn't work so Lowes delivered a replacement dryer the next day.

I found it interesting that when I exchanged the propane orifice when the replacement dryer was delivered, the failed ignitor was manufactured by Maytag. The replacement dryer, while an identical model, had a different style non Maytag ignitor. Since then we haven't had any problems with either set. We received 10% off both purchases from Lowes, who usually seems to have an appliance discount available.

We have the steam clean feature in our dryer at home and use it weekly. My wife loves the ability to freshen her dress clothing without dry cleaning, a feature that has saved a couple hundred dollars in itself. We also freshen blankets, curtains and pillows using the steam feature. I also like the large capacity; big enough to wash and dry our king size quilts so I don't need to make a periodic trip to a laundromat.

The washer and dryer at our main home made a significant difference in our water, propane and electrical use and I don't see any reason why the set at the lake home won't make a similar impact, albeit on a smaller scale since we're only there about 20% of our time. I expect the savings in water, propane and electricity to pay for our set at our main home by the time they're 4 or 5 years old. I haven't calculated a payback for the set at our lake house, but since we needed a new set anyway the Samsungs were only slightly more expensive than a "budget" set would have been, and I have no doubt that they will make up the difference in a few years of energy, water and detergent savings.

X2 ON THE SAMMYS

That's about the same price I paid for mine, but mine isn't steam. I didn't study the steam models and didn't think I wanted it.

This is the one I got :

LG WM2140CW

Good choice. Great machines. If you baby it, it will last 20 years or more, they say.

That's one thing I dread to do is buy a washer/dryer...mainly dryer...when and if they go out.

The washing machine...a Hotpoint... was bought new 5 years ago when the Whirlpool unit that came in this house bit the dust.
The 12 year old Whirlpool dryer however is still drying like new.

I was surprised that the washing machine quit after 7 years as I have seen them run a long time.

I feel that any newer device with electronic controls won't last as long as the older styles. Just my opinion however.

Front loaders use alot less water and are easier on clothes. If you get a newer machine buy a surge plug and plug the washer into it. This will protect the electronics from spikes and surges. Good luck

Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
Front loaders use alot less water and are easier on clothes. If you get a newer machine buy a surge plug and plug the washer into it. This will protect the electronics from spikes and surges. Good luck

My previous washer was about 9 years old with the electric controls and it was the spin motor that died. Cost for the new motor was over $300 so we decided to donate it and get new units.

The front loaders are harder on clothes IMO. Forget to button your jeans and watch what it does to the other clothes (put many holes into other shirts) Instead of water they use the force of damp material being thrown around to clean them. Its VERY effective (that is why they come out cleaner) but I do feel they are harder on clothes.

Good idea about a surge protector. I have not done that on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back