Walmart Winter Tires - Made in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I recall Walmart claiming they are working on getting more US production. Was in for one of the rare occasions I'll darken the door of the store: Their cheap prices on .223 bricks, and saw these for sale near the oil section. They were ~$144/each, which struck me as awfully expensive
21.gif

Walmart_Winter_Tires01.jpg

Walmart_Winter_Tires02.jpg

For that kind of money, you could get some US or Japanese made tires.

If you had taken a picture of the full DOT number we could tell you where exactly they were made and the OEM.

I saw those last spring, and looked at them up close in person. To me they look like very excellent quality. Of course, that is only judging by the outside, I have no telling how good they are really made.

Last spring in my area these tires were drastically reduced. 175/65/14 and 185/70/14 were about $22 and $25 each. Unfortunately, that was plus disposal fee and tax.

These Chinese winter tires felt like they had good sidewalls, and the sidewalls had a good thickness.

A few years ago WalMart Canada used to sell an all season tire called Ulysses, then the name switched to Marshal, both were made in Korea and looked identical to each other. I am still using some of those tires, and the sidewalls are very very thin. Even slightly over-inflated, the tread will wear off the outer edges more and even ride on the tread edge of the sidewall when my car is very heavily loaded. I wish I was joking.

From the pictures, they don't look too bad. I try to stick to American tires though....when I lived in a snowy area I liked the off brand Coopers personally.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
They have them on sale 60% off I bought 195/70/14s for my daughters Cavalier for $32 each

Wow! I need to come across those deals

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I will stick with my made in USA tires on my truck and the girlfriend's car.

And that would be what brand?

That seems pretty pricey for a no name brand.

Last year, I paid less than that for Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1, in a similar size.

I just looked it up, and Discount has Michelin Xi2 for the same price.

After looking at walmart.com for 235/70-16 tires:

They have the General Altimax Arctic for $110 each. Not Chinese
smile.gif

For the same $144 as the Chinese POS in your OP, you can get Bridgestone Blizzak DV-M1

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
After looking at walmart.com for 235/70-16 tires:

They have the General Altimax Arctic for $110 each. Not Chinese
smile.gif

For the same $144 as the Chinese POS in your OP, you can get Bridgestone Blizzak DV-M1

My wife has the General Arctics on her Ford Flex, these were made in a Continental Plant in Germany...perhaps just that particular size, but regardless, they have been good winter tires.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
If I'm going to buy a Chinese tire I want a more interesting name than that...Magic Snow Sasquatch Unicorn would work.

LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back