Walmart Castrol Edge now has Carbon Neutral logo - is it the same oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure if I am allowed to post links, but my local Walmart has Castrol Edge but now with a Carbon Neutral logo on it. On the back it says its conforming with PAS 2060 and more info at their site. I have looked around and can't find if they have changed their formula or what but is this the same oil as before? I really like this oil and its been my go to for a bit. Thank you

That could mean so many things, like their office building(s) have solar panels, some employees ride bikes to work, etc.

Just Googled "carbon neutral pas 2060" and the first link refers to what skyactiv mentions - buying "credits" that get them to meet that standard. Safe to say the oil hasn't changed....

Me...my oil is the same too. :p
jimmy neutral.JPG

The only Castrol Dexos/ILSAC oil that interests me is Edge EP in the Gold jug. Not sure if Walmart has discontinued it in this region. But none of the EP Grades are on my Walmart shelves anymore.

Thank you everyone for the responses.

I contacted Castrol and got a response in case anyone cares to know, sharing here in case anyone has a similar question:

"Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

The formula for Castrol Edge has not changed. It is the same product that you have previously purchased.

For a product to be considered carbon neutral, its cradle to grave greenhouse gas emissions must be quantified and neutralized through a combination of emissions reduction activities and carbon offsets. Castrol’s carbon neutral products follow a robust process where external independent third parties are used to measure the cradle-to-grave emissions using the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Protocol and assure as certified carbon neutral in accordance with the PAS 2060 specification.

Carbon is used as shorthand for aggregated greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, reported as carbon dioxide equivalents (CO2e). Carbon dioxide equivalent is the universal unit of measurement used to indicate the global warming potential of greenhouse gases expressed in the terms of the 100-year global warming potential of one metric tonne of carbon dioxide.

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, we value your patronage!"

So mystery is now solved!

The long oil change guys that think they’re helping the environment can now change oil 2x per year and still be carbon neutral because somebody paid for credits so it’s better than changing once per year with a company that didn’t pay credits.

Mental gymnastics, I’m here to be your spotter.

I was at Menards yesterday and they cleaned out the Castrol Edge shelf and put what they had out on an aisle shelf. I was eyeballing it to see if they marked it down but no price.

At the Menards I frequent they had Castrol GTX full synthetic in the white bottle. I scratched my head and picked up a bottle to read it again. Latest Dexos certs too. It was tempting.

The only Castrol Dexos/ILSAC oil that interests me is Edge EP in the Gold jug. Not sure if Walmart has discontinued it in this region. But none of the EP Grades are on my Walmart shelves anymore.
i havent seen any of the ep oils at my local walmart for months. its been online only. ive been looking for the gold jug but no luck. ive tried neighboring walmart stores but its never there.

Thank you everyone for the responses.

I contacted Castrol and got a response in case anyone cares to know, sharing here in case anyone has a similar question:

"Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

The formula for Castrol Edge has not changed. It is the same product that you have previously purchased.

For a product to be considered carbon neutral, its cradle to grave greenhouse gas emissions must be quantified and neutralized through a combination of emissions reduction activities and carbon offsets. Castrol’s carbon neutral products follow a robust process where external independent third parties are used to measure the cradle-to-grave emissions using the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Protocol and assure as certified carbon neutral in accordance with the PAS 2060 specification.

Carbon is used as shorthand for aggregated greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, reported as carbon dioxide equivalents (CO2e). Carbon dioxide equivalent is the universal unit of measurement used to indicate the global warming potential of greenhouse gases expressed in the terms of the 100-year global warming potential of one metric tonne of carbon dioxide.

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, we value your patronage!"

So mystery is now solved!

Translation:

"Thank you for contacting Castrol North America. The formula for Castrol Edge has not changed. It is the same product that you have previously purchased. Our public relations department has decided for the sake of appearances to bow to Greta, Ketchup Boy, Klaus and others, and play their little extortion game so we can get on with business. Please rest assured that the price increase you see will not in any way support the Green extravagant lifestyle of private jets, limousines, and multi million dollar estates."

Translation:

"Thank you for contacting Castrol North America. The formula for Castrol Edge has not changed. It is the same product that you have previously purchased. Our public relations department has decided for the sake of appearances to bow to Greta, Ketchup Boy, Klaus and others, and play their little extortion game so we can get on with business. Please rest assured that the price increase you see will not in any way support the Green extravagant lifestyle of private jets, limousines, and multi million dollar estates."
I see you subscribe to the same newsletter that I do.

I'm heading to Walmart. If this stuff has no carbon, there's no way I'll ever have carbon build-up. Other oil companies can either shut down or do something else.

It's getting ridiculous Walmart can't keep Edge EP gold on the shelf, but are perfectly fine having dozens of Valvoline, Pennzoil, and Mobil1 varieties.

It's getting ridiculous Walmart can't keep Edge EP gold on the shelf, but are perfectly fine having dozens of Valvoline, Pennzoil, and Mobil1 varieties.

I’m guess the black Edge sells better and with limited shelf real estate Castrol made a decision.

Of course you can order it online for pickup at Walmart. I looked it up and thought it was funny that the EP was sold and shipped by Advance Auto Parts. Might be easier to just go there and buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back